11 ☎ Third Time's a Charm

“Rotate!” Amanda cried out in my ear slapping my head back to reality and since I totally forgot we were playing some volleyball, like an idiot, I began rotating on the same spot.

“Why is she on our team again?” Adam cried out with a chuckle and I quickly stopped my little show.

How embarrassing.

You picked her. Because she’s your best friend.” Amanda hissed.

“I doubt that's it” our heads spun to see who spoke. Cayson. “Cause I always thought it was something more to it than that.”

“Shut up Cayson.” Adam said and when I turned to look at him, I caught him when he quickly looked down to the beach sand.

I quickly moved to the spot I was supposed to stand on. And the game went on rather awkwardly.

I couldn’t keep my head in the game because my mind kept going back to the previous night.

For a moment then, Cayson had actually tried to not be an asshole, even though it was short-lived. He obviously didn’t want me as a friend. But even at that, I left my window open. I'm not sure he came though, because when I woke up the next morning, his guitar was still perfectly kept in the case.

I went to bed with an angry mind and had dreamt about flying with the stars, plus there was this beautiful tune that played in my head and I didn’t want to wake up. That was until Adam had bounced unto my bed and kept jumping up and down and therefore interrupting my sleep. But when I remembered my mother was probably home, and she didn’t want him anywhere near her house and most especially in my room, I wanted to cry my eyes out.

But apparently, she was still asleep. Hadrian had confirmed that some guy dropped her off and took a cab to go home or wherever he was going. He also said she had been reeking of alcohol. So I took it she went for a party later on because I was up till at least 12 thinking about Cay – I mean thinking, and she never got home.

Of course when I asked Hadrian if this guy was good looking, he told me to wait for mom to wake up.

But I couldn’t just sit back and wait for her to wake up when my friends were waiting for me to come get them so we can have some girl fun, so I had gone to wake mom up while Adam waited in my room.

It went a little something like this;

“Mom. I need a ride to Gibson Drive.”

“Yeah, you can date him. I don’t care.”

“Mom!” This time I had tried shaking her a little so she could have some consciousness.

“I'm not hungry! Dana go away,” she whined.

“I need a ride to a hotel at Gibson Drive!”

She immediately sat up and the look of worry on her face couldn’t be mistaken. “Who are you going to a hotel to meet?”

“My friends who just came in from Houston,” I deadpanned.

I watched her as she contemplated on how to deal with this. “Why don’t you ask Stacey or – or Adam! Adam can drive you.”

I looked her puzzled, “mom. You said you didn’t want me hanging out with him, though?”

Her expression turned to a confused one, “I said that?”

I slowly nodded.

She smiled, “thanks for reminding me,” and she flopped back unto her bed and back to sleep, causing me to roll my eyes.

But of course I didn’t give up. I was determined. “Mom! So you’ll take me then.”

“Later in the afternoon!” she screamed into her pillow but of course it was directed at me.