♫~Notes 52~♫

Only a few minutes till the curtains opened, and Kagetsu stood in his place

Only a few minutes till the curtains opened, and Kagetsu stood in his place. The forest background with birds and bushes gave him no peace of mind. A backstage male student gave him a deep nod. The boy had to change the background according to the script, turning the roll.

Outdated for sure, but with a charming old-time vibe from times their grandparents lived through. The whole background passed from one to another as a seamless panorama.

Kagetsu returned the nod with a small smile. A ring came from above, signaling the last three minutes.

'Okay, Ka, they are staring at you. You are used to it, right? It's like girl drooling over your muscles.' He nodded with closed eyes. 'They just don't know you are a guy, and other guys are whistling and inviting you for a date.'

Another ring came as another minute had passed.

He lifted his arms, connecting them into a triangle as he inhaled.

'Deep inhale and deep exhale on repeat,' he muttered in his mind. The years of honing his physical skills came in handy as all sorts of breathing exercises helped his body to relax.

Two rings came, and the murmur from behind the curtain silenced. Everybody was ready. The lights above the seats dimmed until they were gone, and only the stage got the spotlight.

The last ring stopped every sound from the audience, and the curtain opened. Dozens of eyes locked on Kagetsu, who stood there with a serene expression. Whatever bothered him, he stomped into dust, facing the role with full power.

"A long time ago," Sakura's voice came from speakers around the hall. "There lived a fair maiden named Snow White."

Kagetsu lifted her shirt, performing a dance-like moves across the stage, showing everybody his beauty. A quiet melody imitated the forest's whispers and gentle breeze.

"She was so beautiful, no woman could compare to her." Sakura's voice turned sinister. "And Evil Queen desired nothing but to erase the fair girl from existence, so she could be the most beautiful woman in the whole kingdom."

The music silenced, and drums echoed through the hall as the background rolled into a dark castle with a storm raging above it.

"The Evil Queen sent her best hunter to kill Snow White."

A new actor jumped on the stage, holding a bow with an arrow ready to strike the poor Snow White. Kagetsu stumbled back, covering his face and falling on his knees.

"But, the hunter couldn't kill an innocent maiden."

The hunter lowered his weapon, helping Kagetsu to stand up and waving his hand to shoo her away.

"He told her about a secret place in the deep forest, where Seven Dwarves lived. They would help her."

The hunter left into the backstage, and Kagetsu spun around, aimlessly running as the background turned from dark castle to deep forest, and the music roared above them.

"Poor Snow White ran and ran until she could no more."

Kagetsu had fallen on the stage.

"And when everything seemed to be lost, forest animals guided her to the Dwarves' home."

The music relaxed everybody, and Kagetsu, with animals painted in the background, danced.

'Is this?' Rigaku thought. 'Our brother?'

It wasn't like he didn't recognize him with the make-up or a wig, but his movements were far from the rough martial artist. There was an elegance of figure skater or ballet dancer even if rough around the edges.

'Was he always like this?' His stomach froze and burned at the same time. Drops of sweat slid down of his forehead. How could he be so ignorant? He watched over his brothers from the time he could remember.

The last weeks irritated him. He didn't see Aiyoku working in animal shelter neither donating his hair. He had never thought about even Aiyoku hating his hair. And now his youngest brother expressed desires he never considered either.

He clenched his teeth. 'Am I... not needed anymore?' Digging his fingers into his arms, he watched as the game came to an end.

"The Evil Queen, in the disguise of an old woman, gave Snow White a poisoned apple."

The hunched figure in ragged clothes and long nose placed a red apple into Snow White's hands, and she took a bite.

The music and drums raged as Kagetsu covered his face with his forearm, with his body falling on the ground. He hit his head, gasping for air before turning motionless.

Gasps came even from the audience. No matter how well-known this story was, the way Kagetsu depicted the death impacted them.

"The Evil Queen had succeeded!"

The cloaked figure danced with a lifted shirt around Snow White, and her face widened into a sickening grin.

"But Seven Dwarves arrived home, pursuing the wicked queen!"

The actress threw her arms above her head, spinning and ultimately dashing as the background moved to a stone cliff. The lights on Snow White shut, focusing on the background.

"When she had nowhere to run, she turned to bury her pursuers with a stone avalanche."

Drums sped up everybody's heart, and flashing lights with sounds of thunder gave the scene epic vibes.

"Then the thunder struck the Evil Queen!" Sakura shouted, exhaustion visible in her voice, but she pushed forward.

Scream of the actress mixed with thunder and drums.

"The Evil Queen was no more, but her defeat came with the saddening price."

The lights disappeared, and only a quiet melody filled the room. When the lights came back, Kagetsu laid on a big box.

"Dwarves moved Snow White into a glass coffin and took turns to guard her body. Even in death, she was too beautiful to be buried into the ground."

The background rolled through four seasons.

"Then, one day, a prince from another Kingdom ventured into the forest and found her coffin."

The Prince Charming came, shielding his eyes as if he searched for something. Spotting the body, he gasped, closing the distance.

"Her beauty charmed him, he knelt next to her, giving her—"