CHAPTER 22

"W-wings?" I manage to get the words out despite the agonizing pain I'm in right now. "No no that just can't be." I say to myself. I can't have wings. The sisters would have told me right?

I try to reach out so I can at least touch them but the pain stops me. Even if I don't wanna believe what Ronnie is seeing I can feel it , I can feel the wings growing out of me. I cry out again and Ronnie rushes to over to me.

She kneels by my side. "What can I do? Should I call mom?" I can hear the fear in her voice. She's scared of what she's seeing and can't bring herself to touch me. I'm not offended , I would probably react the same way.

"No don't call them." It hurts so much but I know bringing my parents into this won't solve anything. Why didn't I suspect this would happen , I mean don't all Angels have wings?

"Heaven I'm so scared. What is happening to you? You have wings growing out of you and...." She stops her babbling when my phone starts ringing. She grabs it without asking me and answers. "Hello?" Her voice is shaky and it's clear that she's crying , crying for me.

She listens for a moment before putting it on speaker. "Heaven?" Amelia's voice comes from the other line.

"What is happening to me?" I ask , not bothering to cover up the fact that I'm crying.

"We are on our way. I'm so sorry Heaven. I didn't know it would happen. Nikolina just saw it happen."

"It hurts."

"Hold on , we are almost at your house."

I want to say something but I instantly feel a sharp pain in my back. The feeling is so intense that I'm almost certain that the wings are growing out of my body , piercing through my skin. I groan out loudly and I'm sure Amelia hears me.

"Hurry up!" Ronnie yells into the phone before hanging out. "It's going to be okay." She clutches my hand as a sign of support. "Everything will be okay." I'm sure she's trying to convince herself more than me. I can still see the fear and confusion in her eyes but I appreciate her presence.

"It will be fine you will see." Even though she's saying the words out loud , I don't think she really believes them. I squeeze her hand to reassure her although I'm the one who needs the reassuring right now.

"How is this happening? And why you? Did you take something?" She continues to talk and talk and I just watch her. She needs to process this because it is happening. I don't know what to tell her , what can possibly make this any better for her so I just keep quiet.

The pain starts up again and I squeeze Ronnie's hand harder. The wings are growing out of me inch by inch and now I can see them. Cloudy white is the color of the new addition to my body. The pain intensifies as it feels like they are fighting for domination with my body.

I let go of Ronnie's hand and rise to my feet so I can at least get a clear picture of what they look like. I stand before my mirror and then I get a glimpse of them , proudly spread out behind my back are my wings. I'm so amazed by what I'm seeing that the fact that I'm suddenly topless doesn't even shock me. There's blood smeared all over my back but with all that agony I endured earlier I'm not surprised.

I continue to look at myself in the mirror , not quite believing what I'm seeing but then I remember I'm not by myself. Oh God , how am I ever going to explain this to Ronnie? She's looking at me with wide eyes , no doubt still in shock. I'm surprised she hasn't fainted or better yet called the police or something.

I don't know exactly how I'm going to explain this to her but I got to start somewhere right. "Okay I know you have questions and I will answer them." She still says nothing. "Look I'm okay now."