CHAPTER 34

It doesn't take me long to get to the Gomez residence. It should concern me that anyone can get into their house with so much ease but I'm too concerned about Sky to worry about that at the moment.

I rush up to his room, anxious to see how he's doing. My heart drops when I find his bed empty. The sheets are all rumbled, indicating that someone was recently sleeping on the bed. And knowing Sky as I do I know he would never leave his bed this untidy.

Before my mind has the chance to run around with crazy thoughts about how someone might have taken him, I hear sounds coming from his bathroom. A second later he comes out looking pale and exhausted. His eyes are baggy, like he hasn't been sleeping, and his nose is all puffy and red. He really is sick.

He frowns as soon as he notices me. "What...." He starts coughing before he can finish his question.

I rush over to him and put my arm around him so I can help him back to his bed. I expect him to push me away but fortunately he surprises me and accepts my help, maybe because he's too sick to get into fight with me.

"What are you doing here?" He tries again when he's back in his bed.

"I came to see you." I tell him as I help pull the sheets over his body.

"You shouldn't have." He said before coughing again.

"I don't want you to be alone whilst you are sick." For the first time since I have started dating Sky, I really recent the fact that he has an indifferent father. I bet he doesn't even know Sky's sick.

"I will be fine." He says weakly, not convincingly me at all. "Go back to school."

"I'm not leaving Sky, school can wait." I add as I sit cross legged at the edge of his bed.

"I think we have a chemistry test today."

I laugh lightly. "Well, I guess it's a good thing I decided to skip because without my chemistry partner I can't write anything."

He starts to laugh with me but his laughter is cut short by the hideous sound of his cough. Not knowing how else to react, I rush to him and grab his hand.

I don't know if it's to reassure me or if he's in so much pain but he tightly squeezes my hand.

"Does it hurt?" Stupid question really especially when I know he's in pain.

He shakes his head. "Not really." He lies.

It hurts me that he's in pain but what hurts the most is that I can't do anything to make it stop. I feel so useless and helpless.

"Can you do me a favor?" He asks, as if he can sense that I'm dismayed by the fact that I'm not doing anything.

"Anything." I say quickly.

"Distract me."

I don't know how to distract him. He's so focused that it's hard to take his mind off anything he considers important. But looking at him right now, I realize that he needs me and I can't let him down.

"There's a dance on Friday." I decide to tell him the one thing I'm sure will distract him and not upset him.

"What dance?"

"The one Heather's planning. It's for charity or something, I'm not really sure. But apparently there's a fancy theme and it's girl's choice." I go on and on and he listens attentively. "I wanted to ask you." I add shyly.

"Yeah right." He laughs but stops abruptly. "Wait, you are serious?" He asks and I nod.

"It could be fun." I say, trying to persuade him.