Q&A

Hey, guys, I figured I'd wait a day or two to let questions come in so I could type them all out and answer them. Also, in case your wondering, the next chapter will maybe be up sometime tomorrow if I have the motivation to finish writing it. I've just been busy and tired, but I'll get around to it, it'll be worth the wait, I promise. Also, thank you so much to all the people congratulating me or saying you love the story, I love you guys, you're all so sweet! Anyways, without further adieu, here are your questions and answers.

Hobbies?

I'm guessing you mean mine, so, writing (poetry and novels), knitting, biking, music (as you probably already know), ukulele (though I'm not very good at it), reading, video games (mostly things like the sims and stardew valley), and researching psychology I guess (I hope to go into psychology in college, but researching abnormal psych just makes my nerd brain happy)

Do you have any advice for writing conversation scenes? 

I feel like I actually still struggle with making dialogue feel real, so I'm not sure how to answer this to be completely honest. I think it's just a lot knowing your characters and how they talk, but also knowing how conversations in general work on a technical level. Make sure that the things they're saying are in character and keep mind of where they are and what their motivation is in the coversation. For example, Logan would talk much differently alone with Oliver than he would with Jace because there's a difference in motivation (with Oliver, Logan would probably have the motivation of hanging out with him and talking to him, with Jace it would be to get out as quickly as possible), atmosphere (with Oliver it would be light or teasing, with Jace it would be tense), comfort level, and context (Oliver is his friend/boyfriend, Jace was his bully), those kinds of things that you don't think of while talking to people, but you should keep in the back of your head when writing. If you want to write dialogue better, pay attention to your own conversations.

What inspired you to first write/write this?

Well, writing in general was inspired by both my sister and dad. My sister writes novels (none published sadly), and my dad used to write poetry when he was a teenager and he still might write, I just don't know about it, also, I guess I've always kinda liked writing. I've wanted to write this story for a while, and I've been writing it for a while, but I guess it was always about just venting my personal struggles, I didn't really expect it to get this big, but I guess they do say people like reading honest work. It was just an idea I came up with in the seventh grade that I wanted to eventually put down on paper.

How do you go about developing/creating characters?

To be completely honest with you, I look for faceclaims on pinterest and then come up with characters based on that, then develop them through months of late night writing that will never see the light of day and usually a bio template or two. I think I came up with Oliver when I was 11, back when he was still "straight" and I thought I was straight, actually, Gia's based off of the girl he was shipped with, and Logan used to be a roleplay character that I made a few years ago, so I've slowly developed both of them over the years, Sy and Ty were in the same universe as Oliver, and Ivy and Grace are the only truly new ones. My process is long and convoluted, but it gets them to a point where I feel like they're fully formed enough to seriously write.

What/Who are your favorite books/authors outside of Wattpad?

Authors: Ned Vizzini, Laurie Halse Anderson, Olivia Gatwood, Emily Dickinson. Books: Be More Chill, It's kind of a funny story, Wintergirls, Speak, Some Boys, Life of the Party.

How long does it take to write a chapter?

Depending on how motivated I am, usually about 2-3 hours after I really get into it, each chapter is 2,000 words roughly and then I go back and edit it, but that process can take a week or two to get started.

Do you have a favorite character?

Maybe Oliver? I know them all personally, obviously, I write them, but he's the one who feels the most real to me.

How do you deal with writer's block?

I sort of try to get myself in the headspace of Logan or whoever I'm writing, I have a soundtrack for him on spotify and a pinterest board for the book, but other than that, inspiration comes to me when it comes and if I feel blocked, I just try to take a few days away and just brainstorm occasionally until I'm in a writing mood again. It can't feel like a job to me or else I'd stop doing it entirely so I have to keep it a hobby and do it when I want to.

Did you plan out the story before writing it or did you just wing it?

I've had it on the backburner for years so there was some planning that went into it, but between you and me, I've been winging it since the 3rd chapter.

Where are you from?

The USA.

Do you have any plans for other books?

Yes, I have plans for 2 others that would go onto wattpad, they might not happen, but I have plans for them, but the next one would be about a catholic kid with adhd who has an addiction to energy drings and lowkey a huge crush on his history tutor who he kind of also hates because he's annoying and cocky but also smart and kinda hot (Don't judge it, it's still in development and will be way better later), and then this one about a boy who works at a coffee shop and has no other goal in life but to make smile the grumpy tattoo parlor worker who always comes in for coffee (They're both going to be better on paper, I'm sorry, they sound cringey)

How long have you been writing?

I think since I was like, 9, I used to write short stories for my family to read.

What's the longest book you've ever written?

This one.

What's the weirdest story idea request you've gotten?

I actually haven't gotten weird story idea requests other than some people going "You should ship Logan with Jace maybe?" which makes me concerned for the people on this app, but mostly I've got the chill, music loving, sad crowd that doesn't voice too many weird ideas.

Do you plan to write a sequel for this story?

Not currently, but it's possible if I have ideas for one and really want to in the future. I plan to maybe write a book of one-shots for characters like Ivy and Grace or how Logan's dads met because that was requested a few times and I think it'd be cute.

Will you please finish the book and not leave us on a cliffhanger one day and just disappear?

Considering I already have the ending planned and pretty much everything inbetween that, yes, I plan to finish the book, and no, I won't disappear. Also, it might be a bit longer than 50 chapters considering the amount of content I still have for it.