🌺~3~🌺

November 5th
11:21 PM

{Y/n P.O.V.}

I end up driving with Hank, Connor on the back seat. Connor stares out the window, not saying a word. The only sound is the death metal coming from the radio of Hanks old car. The drive is tense. I'm already on edge, and Hank hates androids after what happened with his son. That all I know. I don't even know the boys name. I keep my gaze at the road ahead for the most part, but every now and then, I look at Connor in the back through the rear view mirror. And every once in a while, I think he's looking back. I think I'm stressing him out. My thoughts keep going back to my father.

He died in my arms.

I didn't think it'd happen this way.

I wasn't prepared.

It was coming, but I wasn't prepared.

His last words were to Markus. It was all in vain, wasn't it? Markus is gone...

I'm broken from my thoughts by Hank. "You coming in?" He asks me. I nod. "Maybe Connor is right. Maybe it'll help a little." I give him a polite smile through the rear view mirror. Hank grumbles in annoyance. "You wait here, we won't be long." He says to Connor. "Whatever you say, Lieutenant." Connor replies dismissively. "Fucking-A, whatever I say..." Hank mumbles as he gets out. "Don't mind him. He's always like this. Let's go." I encourage halfheartedly, following suit. I catch up behind Hank, who's been swarmed with journalists. "Joss Douglas, for Channel 16. Can you confirm that this is a homicide?" Hank waves them off, continuing to walk. "I'm not confirming anything."

They turn to me, and I go wide eyed. "What about you? Is there anything for you to say?" I just push past them, dragging Connor along with me so he too can avoid the questions. "God I hate journalists." I mumble to him. "Why?" He questions. I'm mildly surprised. I didn't really expect an answer. "Oh, um, I just think they get in the way when they try to ask on site. They should go to the station for answers if they really want them. It's safer that way." I explain, passing the tape lines. A police android stops Connor. "Androids are not permitted beyond this point." This catches Hanks attention, and he turns back. "It's with me. What part of 'stay in the car' didn't you understand?" Hank asks as Connor is allowed through. "Your order contradicted my instructions, Lieutenant." I butt in. "I told him to follow." I speak with a no nonsense voice, making Hank drop the issue. "You don't talk, you don't touch anything and you stay outta our way, got it?"

"Got it." I stifle a laugh. No way is Connor not touching shit. Ben comes up to us to give us the brief. "Evening, Hank, (Y/n). We were starting to think you weren't gonna show." I wear a face of stoicism, but Hank responds. "Yeah, that was the plan until this asshole found me." He points at Connor who's calm facial expression doesn't change. "So, you got yourself an android, huh?" I pat Ben's shoulder. "Don't test him." I warn. "Oh, very funny. Just tell me what happened."

"We had a call around eight from the landlord. The tenant hadn't paid his rent for a few months, so he thought he'd drop by, see what was going on. That's when he found the body." We walk inside, and the first thing I notice is the wave of a gag inducing smell from the body. "Jesus, that smell!" "Was even worse before we opened the windows. The victim's name's Carlos Ortiz. He has a record for theft and aggravated assault. According to the neighbors, he was kind of a loner. Stayed inside most of the time, they hardly ever saw him." Ben finishes. I look over the rotting body of the man leaning against the wall. Maggots and flies swarm him, and his body is violently pale. He's probably been here awhile. Above him, written in presumably blood, are the words 'I AM ALIVE' written very nearly. An android homicide? "Uh, state he's in...Wasn't worth calling everybody out in the middle of the night." Hank complains. "Could've waited 'til morning."