🌺~17~🌺

November 9th
4:13 PM

{Y/n P.O.V.}

Back at the station, we're called into Fowler's office. And the news he breaks to us is infuriating. "You're off the case. The FBI is taking over." I stand up from my seat. "What?" Hank starts to protest too. "But we're onto something! We... We just need more time. I'm sure we can-"

"Guys, you don't get it. This isn't just another investigation, it's a fucking civil war! It's out of our hands now... We're talking about national security here." Fowler yells. "You can't do this to us!" I shout angrily. I've never raised my voice at the captain. This should be good. "Fuck that! You can't just pull the plug now. Not when we're so close!" Hank adds. "You're always saying you can't stand androids! Jesus, Hank, make up your mind! I thought you'd be happy about this!"

I slam my hands down on his desk like a frustrated child. "We're about to crack the case! I know we can solve it! For God's sake, Fowler, can't you back us up on this?" I plead. "There's nothing I can do. You're back on homicide and the android returns to CyberLife. I'm sorry, guys, but it's over." The words seem like they're constricting my heart. Connor has to leave. God knows what'll happen. "This is bullshit! You have to do something." I shout. "I don't have to do anything, now you'd better leave before I finally have something to add to your disciplinary folder." With a huff of anger, I storm out without my partners. I'm seated in my desk when they follow. Hank sits in his chair, arms crossed angrily. Connor paces.

"We can't just give up like that. I know we could have solved this case!" He's frustrated too. "So you're going back to CyberLife?" Hank asks. My faces remains stony. "I have no choice. I'll be deactivated and analyzed to find out why I failed." He sounds sad. And scared. After what happened on the tower, I'm sure he is. "Oh Connor..." I mumble, hiding my face in my hands. "What if we're on the wrong side? What if we're fighting against people who just wanna be free?" Hank questions. I uncover my face, surprised that Hank thought this way. "I think you're right, Hank. I have for awhile." I admit. "They don't want to be free. They're defective machines that have to be destroyed." Connor responds. I scowl at this response. "Do you really believe that?" I question Connor. He doesn't respond, but his LED flashes different colors. "Maybe we're wrong! Maybe these deviants have actually developed a certain kind of consciousness. We'd be destroying a new life form!" Hank defends.

"When the deviants rise up, there will be chaos. We could have stopped it! But now it's too late..." Connor sighs in defeat. "When you refused to kill that android at Kamski's place...You put yourself in her shoes. You showed empathy, Connor. Empathy is a human emotion." Hank notes. "I'm not a deviant, Hank. I'm a machine. Nothing more." Connor says prickly. "Don't lie to yourself, Connor. Don't let anyone tell you who you are." I quote my father. He looks like he wants to say something, but decides to change last minute. "I'm not programmed to say things like this, but I really appreciated working with you. With a little more time, who knows... We might've even become friends." I fight back tears. I get up quickly, and hug him. "Oh Connor, I told you...we already are."

"Well, well, here comes Perkins, that motherfucker. Sure don't waste any time at the FBI." Hank catches our attention. "We can't give up. I know the answer is in the evidence we collected. If Perkins takes it, it's all over." I shake my head at Connor, not knowing how else to respond. "There's no choice! You heard Fowler, we're off the case." Hank reminds. "You've got to help me. I need more time so I can find a lead in the evidence we collected. I know the solution is in there!" Connor pleads to us. "Listen, Connor..."

"If I don't solve this case, CyberLife will destroy me. Five minutes. It's all I ask." His voice is desperately, his eyes pleading. It's hard to say no, but I can't help him find Jericho. I can't help him find Markus. And yet I can't just let him be destroyed. "Key to the basement is on my desk. Get a move on! I can't distract them forever." Hank plans. I swivel a desperate gaze between Hank and Connor, unsure of what to do.

"Perkins! You fucking cocksucker!" Such a Hank thing to do. Connor grabs the key, then looks to me. "Will you help me?" I can't do it. I can't directly help. "I'll help Hank." I'm lying. In a burst of confidence, I kiss his cheek. "Good luck Connor." I'm wishing him luck in finding his way. For things to work out. He nods, his cheeks lightly blue, and rushes off. Hank is still yelling and other cops are trying to restrain him a bit. I don't know what to do. I don't know where to go. I have no way of getting to Markus first. I see Gavin walking away from the evidence room. I sigh. I can't believe I'm actually going to do this, but it will buy a little time. I walk up to him. "Have you seen Connor?" I question. "The plastic prick? He went to the evidence room. Desperate for attention?" Gavin snidely says.

I bite back a retort. "Are you sure? He isn't supposed to be there?" Gavin looks pissed. "Goddammit, I knew it. You need to keep your pet on a leash, Manfred." I sigh heavily as he rushes back to the evidence room. I hope it's enough to stop him. And even if it isn't, it's just a little less time he'll have. I don't want to do this to Connor, it's not fair to let him be deactivated. I do believe he really is deviant, but I can't take that chance. For Markus' sake if not for the androids as a whole. If my heart is what I need to sacrifice for this cause...then I guess I'll have to.