When I'm Nothing But Ego

Days went by with no word from Ren. You kept finding yourself clenching your jaw when you thought about how much time had passed since the shared dream. Yideth said nothing of Ren, she just continued to train you. You had asked her about Ren, but she said she had no communications with him since your revelation.

The Marksman-H wasn't a challenge anymore--even blindfolded. You could feel where it was going, where it would try to zap you. You got frustrated with it one day and almost sliced it in half.

Meditation had revealed that were still not okay with being an unremarkable, lonely nobody. You had to accept that your desire for family was a weakness. It could mean you would allow untrustworthy people to get close to you. You didn't think being alone was such a great idea, either. There had to be a middle ground, you reasoned. You'd find one in the future, you were sure, but now was not the time to work on a found family.

You hadn't tried stealth, moving without being seen, since your grand fumble. You didn't want to focus on it. That could be an ability you'd deal with later.

You and Yideth were out in the desert, dueling like always. It was quiet after the evening winds had finally settled. She was telling you less of what you were doing wrong and concentrating more on parrying your attacks. You thought that was a good sign.

You had taken a break for water when you both heard it--a beeping from an incoming communication. She looked at you before running up the ramp and into the cockpit. You followed closely behind. She opened the comms and confirmed the freighter name, and Ren barked, "Where the hell were you two?"

"Master Kylo, we were training outside," Yideth explained.

"I need your location. I'm on my way."

She read out the coordinates of the ship's location. You stood in the cockpit door and listened to them. Ren was finally coming. Maybe you could talk about the upcoming confrontation. You wondered if he would stay on the planet with Yideth.

"Roger that," he said and closed the link.

She turned to you and said, "Get packed."

You didn't know how long it would take him to arrive in the desert. Apparently, you weren't staying if you had to pack. You rushed around and shoved everything of yours into the Order duffle. You folded the great coat over the duffle and placed your lightsaber on top of the pile.

In the meantime, Yideth stowed away the food and secured the loose bins around the freighter. It looked like she was preparing the ship for space travel. However, you didn't think she'd be following Ren and you.

"Thank you for training me," you said after Yideth had settled in the lounge with you.

"You're welcome. You still need work, but you're coming along."

You wanted to ask if Ren would be pleased with your progress, but didn't want to sound desperate for his approval. He would have to accept where you were in your training. If he didn't like it, he only had himself to blame. He was the one who offloaded you onto someone else.

You and Yideth heard the ion engines of an approaching ship. You both stepped out into the desert sand and saw the glow of a TIE shuttle crossing the vast expanse of The Void. You tried to keep your anxiety under control. You wanted to appear collected and pleased to see him, but not overly eager like a puppy.

The two-pod TIE shuttle was old and probably not Imperial anymore. Hopefully, that meant that it wasn't being tracked by the First Order. Its standard gray had been painted over with a dull black and had a wide glossy blue stripe going over the windowless passenger pod.