Make My Whole World Weep

You nodded off somewhere in hyperspace. The pod was warm enough and your coat heavy enough to be a comfort. The tilted seats weren't as nice as your bunk on Yideth's freighter, but you found you could sleep anywhere these days.

You woke to something gently brushing against your cheek. You looked up to see Ren hovering over you. He looked less irritated now. There was a softness in his eyes. You couldn't help giving him a small smile in reply.

"We're here," he murmured.

You brought your seat upright and got on your coat. You slid your lightsaber in one deep outer pocket and tucked the tin of birth control in an interior pocket. Ren popped the collar of your coat and said, "To blend in."

Ren threw on a black cloak that went midway down his calves. It hid his lightsaber and how much his clothing looked like armor. You guessed that would help him blend in as well. You didn't know how well that would work considering he was so tall and fierce. The facial scar was almost as pale as his unblemished skin now. It seemed to highlight his lush mouth and dark eyes. It also made him look like a mercenary. You decided it was a good look on him.

Outside the ship was a copper-toned protocol droid with luggage cart floating behind it. Ren brought down your bag and his to the cart. The military-grade duffles looked rough on the shiny cart. The covered, multilevel hangar you were in was upscale, too. It was cleaner than any hangar you'd ever seen in your limited experience.

"Good afternoon, sir and madam!" the droid exclaimed. "Welcome to The Imperial Hotel!"

Ren grunted and closed up the ship. You gave him a look and turned to the droid with a smile. "Hi."

"Do you have a reservation?"

You turned to Ren, not knowing if there was one or, if there were, if it was under his name. You hoped to the Maker that he hadn't booked a hotel under his real name.

"Yes, under Mitaka, Dopheld," Ren replied as he turned to the droid.

You looked at the droid with a grin and nodded your head. Yup, you two were the Mitakas. The Mitakas were you two. Everything was completely normal because you were using your real names.

The droid took a quick moment to process the information and then genially said, "Follow me."

The cart followed the droid like an obedient dog, and you and Ren followed the cart. The droid led the way into a large, tube-like glass elevator with fancy carpet and copper handrails. You liked how cushy the carpet was under your shoes. The droid put its finger into a terminal to the side of the doors and asked Ren which side of the hotel he preferred. Ren replied south.

Apparently with that information, the droid had the elevator lift off. You grabbed the handrail for balance and turned to see the lobby as the elevator came up through the track. The lobby was vast with potted plants and large windows. There was more fancy carpet and little seating areas. Everything was gray or blue or copper. It was elegant with its flowing curves. You bet everyone who was lounging below spoke in refined whispers.

The view out the lobby windows had you gawking. The city surrounding the hotel was never-ending and full of personal airspeeders of every color criss-crossing between the impossibly tall skyscrapers. There were floating platform-buildings which one could land their speeders and go inside.

You got an even better view as the elevator traveled up the side of the building. There was no end to the cityscape--it just went on to the horizon. There were brightly colored holo-billboards you couldn't read from this distance. There were all sorts of things to look at that you felt it would take you days to catalog all of them.