[silence]

You needed a distraction.

Because you didn't think you could stand where you were and watch five people die.

Almost the whole crew of the Finalizer was in attendance. They wouldn't all fit in the hangar where the execution was taking place, but they had assembled in the large spaces in the ship.

You and Ren were standing with the Knights next to the wide-tiered dais. On the lowest level were five chairs and on the highest was Hux, alone in his finery. The backdrop of the stage was draped in black with the First Order emblem burning red on the dark fabric. Amongst the black-clad officers was a squadron of armored stormtroopers.

Hux was at the edge of the raised platform and speaking quite solemnly. He had a different tone than during Snoke's funeral, naturally. He wasn't the secret killer in this scenario, honoring the fallen. No, he was the wronged, and his voice carried that. There was metal in his words.

The conspirators were brought forth by five black-armored troopers. The conspirators were wearing the red coveralls of the detention center. Not that long ago, you had worn one just like theirs. You could've been one of them if your abilities had not been awakened on a bone-charring night in Tuanul.

Hux told the congregation that he was bestowing mercy on his would-be assassins. He would grant them a fast death despite their crimes.

Earlier you had pleaded with Ren not to make you attend. It was a weakness to beg, you knew, and you wanted to apologize to him as his apprentice. However, that would be adding to your naive foolishness. You had asked him if he actually wanted to see it, and he had admitted it wouldn't affect him either way. He had tenderly held your face in his warm hands and told you the assassins had known what they were risking.

He told you this was the price for failure.

You had nodded and turned away from him. You had gotten on your cowl and adjusted the hood to hide most of your face. Behind you, Ren had zipped up his shirt and got his helmet on. When you faced him, a slick, oily dread slithered through your gut. The shirt--red-zippered still--completely covered his neck. The unblemished helmet's stiff rubbery flange hooked under his chin to cover the rest. He was shiny and new like a freshly honed blade.

You now stood between Ren and Yideth as you watched Hux finish his speech. The black stormtroopers hit some button on their armor to release a neat array of delicate needles from the first two knuckles of their plated fists. They steadied the co-conspirators and jabbed the needles into the side of their necks.

It was over in seconds.

Hux opened his mouth to say a few more things, but was interrupted by the Finalizer's klaxons. The PA system clicked on and alerted all personnel of fast-approaching ships. Five seconds to impact.

Five seconds wasn't enough time to do anything but run towards the interior of the ship. The officers and troopers scattered away from the open hangar doors. Ren grabbed your hand and pulled you back. The Knights ran with you and Ren until the deafening crash and ship-wide shudder threw everyone against the deck.

The sound of sizzling metal made you look back. Blocking the hangar door completely was a white ship of unknown origin. The hatches opened and out came blaster fire. You got to your feet at the same time as the Knights and dove behind the dais.

Ren shielded you as stormtroopers flooded into the hangar to fight the invading horde. He made you look up into the visor of his helmet. He told you to meet him in Hangar 11 just in case. You wanted to tell him to not leave you, but it was logical should you two get separated.

He lowly asked you if you were ready to fight, and you shook your head. Fighting meant killing, and you weren't ready. You couldn't kill again. He asked you not to turn away. He wanted you to join him in victory. You took a deep, shaking breath and nodded. You wouldn't back down if there were forces coming for Ren.