In the Next World War, In A Jackknifed Juggernaut, I Am Born Again

The lake was peaceful in front of you, as was the incredibly blue sky above you. Across the water were lush, green mountains. Everything seemed tranquil and untouched, though untouched wasn't entirely true. Midway between you and the distant mountain range was a craggy island with a domed structure built into the rock.

You were leaning on a carved stone railing enclosing a pea-gravel terrace. The rock of the railing was rough against your palms. The dappled sun warmed your back as the light breeze coming from the lake cooled your front. You were between two carved balusters topped with flower-filled urns. You couldn't smell the red flowers from where you were, but they had attracted little fuzzy insects.

You weren't wearing the outer robe nor belt of your battle gear. With just the gray under-robe covering your upper body, you felt unburdened. Your leggings and boots were too dark and too heavy for such luxuriant surroundings, but they were what you had.

"I first kissed my wife here," a male voice said from behind you. "I married her here, too."

You turned to see Anakin Skywalker--tall and golden and handsome--and gave him a once-over. He wasn't in his dark Jedi robes, though he was still wearing a long black glove on his right arm. He was dressed as casually as you--sans weapons.

"I thought Jedi weren't supposed to have that sort of relationship," you replied.

"They aren't. I was a very bad Jedi."

You hummed in agreement. "Clearly."

"I was very bad at a lot of things." He came up beside you and looked out over the lake.

You turned back to face the calm waters as well. You wanted to know if you were dead, but you were scared of the answer. You tried to think of what a deceased loved one would want to know. There was quiet for a long moment before you spoke up. "I didn't kill your son."

Anakin nodded. "It was foolish to deny Sidious."

"You know of him?"

"He was my master."

Your stomach dropped and you clenched your hands against the cool stone. "Is that why you came to me? Because Sidious haunts me?"

"No." Anakin let out a breath through his nose. "It'll make sense later."

You turned to him as you crossed your arms and leaned a hip against the balustrade.

"Later as in when you're dead," he clarified.

"So I'm still alive?"

"Of course. We're talking, after all. If you were dead, we wouldn't have to."

"What am I doing here?" you asked.

"I'm supposed to be giving you advice," he replied with a shrug.

"Is that what this is, because I haven't gained much wisdom from it."

"I'm not that wise."

You snorted, and at the sound, Anakin turned to you with a smirk.

"Why did you not kill Luke?" he softly asked.

You turned back to the lake and bent to lean your forearms against the stone railing. "A lot of reasons. He's a good person... Jedi." You shrugged. "He didn't go for his saber, either. He's Kylo's uncle. He's your son. It didn't feel right."

"And if you didn't know all that?"

"I wouldn't have wanted to anyway." You looked down to the exposed shell beach at the base of the stone wall. "I don't agree with killing Jedi just because they're Jedi."