Buy When Blood Is On the Street

There were no civilians in the hallways, and you were glad to see it. They needed to be protected and tucked away in their rooms. You rushed back to Hux's suite to find it guarded by five stormtroopers. They recognized you immediately and drew themselves up to salute.

You stopped a couple feet away, half-bowed in shocked reply, and looked them over. You struggled for something to say for a second. "Good work back there. Thank you for protecting him."

"Are the assassins still alive, my lady?" asked the center trooper.

"As far as I know, yes. I'm sure they'll be interrogated soon. Has anyone informed Lord Ren of the attack?"

"Admiral Hux said he would contact Lord Ren."

"Good." You nodded to yourself. "May I see the admiral?"

"Yes, my lady!" The stormtroopers parted and opened the door for you.

You thanked them as you entered the suite. The door closed and locked behind you. The room in front of you was dim and you couldn't make out much of it. From an open doorway on your right came the blue glow of a holocom. You could hear Hux's voice coming from inside.

You came to the doorjamb to see him pacing behind the desk. A small holo of Ren stood at the center of the desk's clean surface.

"I want you back here," Hux told him.

"Then I shall return directly, Admiral."

The holo cut off, and Hux looked up at you. The light from the comm-unit lit his frowning face in an otherworldly glow. He was fierce in his fury.

He prowled around the desk. You knew he was going to yell at you. You could feel the heat of his anger from where you stood.

"You don't order my troops ever, do you hear me?" he growled.

"You needed to be protected."

You understood he was angry because he thought you had made him look weak in front of his soldiers. However, you didn't think anyone saw it that way. He was too important to be put in the line of fire.

"I am not some simpering diplomat!" he roared.

"No, you're not!" you yelled back. "You're the Grand Admiral of the First Order."

"No, I am a soldier," he sternly corrected.

"You couldn't have stopped those shots. One was designed for you."

"And the other for you!" He came up to you then, his hands in fists. "I saw what you did. You exposed your abilities to the enemy."

"I did it for the greater good." You wanted to stomp your foot because you did not deserve to be reprimanded for saving Hux's life. No trooper had died, nor officer. To save lives, you were willing to give up an opportune moment. You thought most of the officers had made the connection between you as the consort and you as the Force-user who had stood on the dais during Snoke's funeral.

The enemy, the Resistance, or whoever had planned that assassination attempt, already knew of Kylo Ren and his Force-sensitive Knights of Ren. You were an unknown element, and it had worked to your advantage. That element of surprise had been key to keeping Hux alive.

Hux murmured your name as he shook his head and adjusted his cape on his shoulder. "Dammit." He sighed, rubbing at his forehead, and then said, "I need a drink."

"Are you okay?" you asked and looked him over. His crisp uniform was pristine--not even a hair was out of place.

"Of course I'm fine." He took a deep breath and seemed to gather himself. "They didn't get you, did they?"