Chapter 22

(Nico POV)

The ice cream is served. Everyone was still a little awkward, but then Jason spoke up after grabbing a frozen treat, "ima wreck you in uno perce."

"Tshh, like hades," Percy responds with a wide grin. Everyone grabs their stack of cards, and it all begins.

***

Somewhere in it all, I started having fun too. I laughed when Annabeth called Percy seaweed brains when he put down the wrong card, and I smiled when hazel was leaning against Frank affectionately.

But out of nowhere, I felt tired like my social battery run out. I tried to keep smiling, but I kept zoning out. "Alright, guys, how about some hot chocolate before I kick you guys out?" Reyna walks in with mugs, and everyone, of course, grabbed one. I felt comfortable, and I looked down at my own cup...

Maybe I will be okay?

Will will come by tomorrow, im hoping that he could stay for a while. I drink up the beverage and feel warmth spread across my chest. "This is godly, " I say out loud. Everyone agreed with their own moans or "mmmhmmm" since they were too busy downing it. I didn't even think it got that late. It's already ten at night.

***

I wake up the next morning, wiping away tears. "Was it another nightmare?" I jump startled. I look at will sitting on my chair, "sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." I quickly try to get up but got a little dizzy. "Woah, it's okay," Will says as he comes to hug me. I buried my face into his chest and took in his warmth. I missed his arms wrapped around me. "Come on," he says as he lays down with me onto my bed. I move the blanket over him and face him.

"I didn't hear you come in."

"I didn't want to make you up. it's rare when you sleep."

He gently rests his hand on my cheek. I can feel the blush setting in, and I can't help but give a small smile. Too bad I couldn't hold it longer, because soon I felt a tightening of my chest. "what's wrong?" I look up at him and glance back to his adam's apple. "I just remember yesterday."

"Ah."

" I don't know what to do," I say with a small huff. Will moves his hand to wrap it around me under the covers. "well, for starters, we can look around for a therapist?" will asks me quietly.

**Wills POV**

He's taking in my question...Reyna told me he's been eating, and I could see it too. I dont feel the presence of starvation as much as before, and the bags under his eyes are starting to lift. He just needs more vitamins. "I don't think I'm ready for that," he tells me with a little fright in his voice. A part of me saddens since he's still afraid of care.

"That's fine, you already are trying so hard." I bring him closer to me as I shift in, closing the gap between us. We stay like this for a moment, a comforting silence settles. I feel like im trying to help something feral. He is easily startled and reacts on instinct.

But if he's constantly anxious, then he's always in a fight, flight, or freeze response, then that means he no longer has the regular setting of a normal thought process. He would have to learn or start a transition to shift back, but it takes a lot of time.

"How do you handle your anxiety, and can you list any 'triggers'?"

"I just don't like to be vulnerable, and I just get so overwhelmed with thinking or remembering the past." He responds quietly, not moving from me, thankfully. I rub circles around his back, trying my best to soothe him. I try to match his quiet tone when I speak, "I'm guessing unhealed trauma." It's like he shrinks in my arms, but he's still physically there. I know he's trying not to feel anything for the sake of not cashing.

"I wouldn't call it that..."

"It's fine to call it what it is. You might think others could see it as small, but that doesn't matter. Everyone takes in different levels of hardship and shock. Others may have had worse, but that doesn't invalidate your emotions or experiences." He stays quiet, so I continue whispering, "what you feel is valid. It's okay to feel bad, and it's okay to fall. What's important is the healing process."

Suddenly the door opens and Jason peaks his head in and asks, "Do you guys feel like breakfast, do we wait for you downstairs?" "Yeah, we'll be down in a bit." I answer. He nods and shuts the door behind him.

Nico moves from me to look up at me, he had been crying a bit so I just wipe it away. "Do you feel like eating?" I ask him. "I can try."

With that, my heart squeezes and I can't tell you how much I love him.