chapter 37 || not a god

You continued to stare at your friend in front of you in shock.

You then walked closer to him. "W-why are you here?"

"To talk to you."

"No I mean.. why here?" You asked the boy.

"Privacy." Is what he all said. Somehow, he looked uneasy and more bothered than usual.

"Hey, are you okay?" You asked him worriedly. He got startled a bit, but nodded anyway.

"I'm fine. Are you? Did you eat?" He then asked a lot more questions.

"I ate some snacks back there in the dorm."

"Oh, I see."

"How about you? Have you eaten?"

"Yeah, I ate already."

You can tell the conversation is getting more awkward than before.

At this point, you were getting more confused. Why would he call you out in private just to ask if I have eaten already?

"Do you want to head back in? It's getting kinda chilly out here," you began walking away but he suddenly grabbed your wrist.

"Not yet, just," you've never seen him so flustered than before. "Stay here with me."

You were more shocked at his words and his sudden gesture at you. You decided to not leave him yet.

Though, this situation reminds you of something. The atmosphere makes your heart beat at a rapid amount. You then realized on the possibility he's going to do, which made you blush hard.

"(L/n)? You're getting kinda red-"

"It-it's nothing, I'm fine!" You looked away as you tried to relax yourself, taking deep breaths. After you calmed down, you tried to look at him in the eyes.

The way he looked at you made you nervous. It's not like a normal stare, he looked like.. he was staring right at me so focused.

It's more like he's admiring me.

You shook your head. Admiring?! Pfft, I'm not a god!

"W-why are you staring at me like that?" You wanted his confirmation. You want to know if your thoughts are correct.

He didn't answer. He went silent.

"Just spit it out. I'll try not to react or anything-"

"I like you."

You widened your eyes.

"I like you, (L/n)."

After he said those words, you were more than nervous than relieved. Even though he basically confirmed your thoughts, you also hoped he wasn't thinking what you were thinking.

"I guess I have gotten interested in you, ever since that time you stood up to those first years. It was a long time, but I realized my feelings grew stronger, the more I spend time with you." He got red, realizing what he's saying.

"I don't mean to sound cheesy, but I do mean it." He said with much confidence, in your surprise. You wanted to say something but you couldn't even mutter a word.

I did kinda knew a confession was coming, but why am I so caught off guard?

You realized every moment he spent with you, what he feels around you was far different on what you feel around him.

You don't share the same connection he has with you. It was all because you had eyes for another one, after all.

"I know you have a boyfriend." He said. "Bakugo can hate me in all he wants, I understand. I just want to finally say my feelings out loud for you."

He smiled so sweetly that you feel your heart breaking into pieces.

He was very gentle and nice towards you. He always cared, and blamed himself for whatever happens, if you and him were both involved. He always felt the need to protect me no matter what.

"We actually.. just broke up." Even if you were fake dating him for months, it still feels weird to say it. We did have to act like a couple for months, but it still comes out as awkward.

"Oh," He muttered. "I'm sorry, I was being inconsiderate of your situation-"

"It's aright," you smiled. "It's for the best for both of us. Bakugo and I were better off not together."

You felt a tear escape from your cheeks, but you hastily wiped it away. Maybe if you say that over and over again, it would come true.

"You say your alright, but are you?" You tried to avoid looking at his face in case another tear flows.

But you soon end up with multiple tears flowing down your face.

"I'm sorry," You sniffed. "I couldn't help myself-"

He didn't hesitate to pull you closer to him, as he engulfs you to a hug. It was very warm and you felt safe in it.

"Shh," he shushed. "Just let it all out. I'm always here."

"I-I'm-" you tried to mutter out. "I'm not crying because we both broke up. I mean, that's not the whole reason."

"It's just that.. I feel so bad that you were always thinking of me throughout this time, and I never realized the amount of care you feel for me is a lot more than I expected."

"You're too thoughtful, Todoroki. I was stupid to not notice it."

As you lay your head on his chest, you felt his heart beat quickly, but it somehow comforted you.

"Don't blame yourself, (Y/n)," he grabbed your chin to look at him. His whole face screamed sincerity.

"You don't have to return back anything. Your presence alone gives me joy already, and that's enough."

After he said that sentence, you suddenly had a different vision. You looked at him, differently than before.

This boy in front of you, he was always there when he needed me. He cares so much about the people around him, and you want to return it back.

If he wants my presence, then he can take it.

"I'm really am blind, aren't I?" You rubbed your head, smiling.

He's now the one to look at me confused. "What do you mean?"

"You were so kind to me, so caring, so thoughtful.." you said. "It was in front of me, after all."

"In front of-"

"I need you in my life, Shouto."

He widened his eyes, as a blush appeared on his cheeks. You chuckled at the sight.

"Does that mean.."

"..Let's try to date, shall we?"

It was obvious what his response his. You smiled at the sight of him. He looked genuinely happy.

Although, you felt twinge of pain in your heart, but you decided to ignore it.

He was the one. Always the one. Todoroki was the one, wasn't he?

Maybe if I keep saying that, my feelings for him would eventually go away.