24. Big Brothers

(Hello everyone!
Pokemon is not mine. The art is by ❤Pokefan❤ on instagram. Check out their profile for more art.
"talking"
'thinking'
-pokespeech-
Enjoy!)

Ash had noticed something lately, especially after returning from Cinnabar Island. Red and Green had been spending more time with him and Gary. He wanted to ask why but looking at their happy faces, he could not bring himself to ask. It was not like he minded, in fact, he was very happy Red had time for him. He could tell Gary was very curious about the development too, just like now for instance. Normally, it would just be the two of them and one of the older Pokemon who would accompany to watch over them. This time however they were joined by their older siblings, they have been clingy since the two of them returned from Cinnabar Island.

Gary finally could not contain his curiosity, "Okay, that's it! Why?"

Green looked at Gary who was bottling up some herbs, "Why what?"

Gary looked at Green with confusion, "Why are you here? You and Red have been clingy since we came back. I don't mind it, honestly speaking, I love the extra time we get to spend with you but..... I'm dying of curiosity here. Why? Did something happen when we were gone?"

Red sighed as he sat down under the shade, "It's not that something happened here. It's more like what happened there, in Cinnabar island, where you two were."

Ash was confused, "What do you mean? We were safe. Nothing happened to us. Well aside from meeting Entei and Moltress. As well as meeting Champion Lance, I guess."

Gary got a thoughtful look, "You guys were listening in on Professor Oak's talks and calls, weren't you?"

Green gave a small smirk, "You guessed it right. But hey what could we do? We were not exactly allowed to go with you there. So sneaking around for information was the best bet. However, I don't think we fooled gramps at all. I'm pretty sure, he knew we were there and let us listen in."

Ash got back to rummaging through the stream for stones, "So what did you hear exactly? You are, well you both are scared, wary? No that's not the right word."

Gary offered, "Try over protective."

Ash beamed, "Yeah that. So what did you hear?"

Red looked at Green before looking at Ash, then he picked up his baby brother who squeaked and sat on the bank burying his face on his hair. Ash was startled at being picked up all of a sudden like that and tried to look at Red. Red however did not move so he looked at Gary only to find he was in a similar position just with his face smooshed oh his brother's chest. He could hear Gary's muffled voice asking what was wrong and why the hug all of a sudden.

Ash grabbed one of Red's hands, "Hey Red, I don't know what you have overheard but we are here. We are not going anywhere. Promise!"

Ash, 'I plan to live a long life this time, anyway. It won't be like last time.'

Charmander who was observing his partner, -What's going on?-

Pikachu moved beside the siblings, -I don't know. Something must have happened.-

Litten eyed the older siblings, -They seem a little scared.-

Eevee got a little worried, -Now that you mention it.-

Red sighed before letting go, Ash however did not move and just waited for an answer watching his older brother. Gary finally managed to wiggle out of his brother's tight embrace. He blinked and looked at Green questioningly. He had heard what Eevee and Litten had said and now was curious what would have scared his older brother. As far as he could remember, there was nothing that could scare him. Well maybe Team Rocket is dangerous and Lance and the others were battling them at Cinnabar. But, the two of them were safe in the island, especially with the high level fire types around.