I Promise ...

Sapphire's P.O.V

It was stupid! Our whole argument was just plain stupid. Yet, this was how Blake worked. One minute he was warming my heart and making me blush, the next he is angry and distant. It seemed that in all the years I have known him, he has never changed. I try to resist the smile he gives me, the one that makes my anger fade away, but, like I said before, I am weak when it comes to him.

I knew, as soon as I walked into fourth class, that Blake would try to get me back to being his partner in crime.

Yet, when I stepped into the disarrayed room, Blake was nowhere in sight. I randomly took a seat and kept my brown eyes focused on the door hoping to see him walk in.

Time passed, and the late bell rang. Mr. Jordon, our teacher, called out the roll, and when he got to Blake's name, someone in the back yelled that he'd left early.

Curiosity coursed through me, for Blake never leaves without telling me. Unless... Unless he texted me.

In a sneaky way, I pulled out my cell phone and hid it behind my backpack. Looking at the glossy screen, I saw that I had no new text messages. Shaking my head, I knew it must not have been true, Blake wouldn't have left school early without notifying me.

Would he?

******

"He is probably sick. Throwing up and having a horrible fever." Linx told me as he drove us home. I looked at him and noted that it seemed like he more or less wished that that was what was wrong with Blake.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I don't know... It just doesn't seem like him to do such a thing. Maybe he is really mad at me."

"Did you two argue in the car this morning?" Linx asked me as he pulled up in our driveway.

"Yeah, a little, but nothing too abnormal. We always tend to fight." I proclaimed as I started to really think about what we said this morning. "If anything, I should be the one mad at him. He sure does know how to get under my skin." I started to mutter as I unbuckled my seat belt.

Linx sighed and unlocked the car, but he made no attempt to get out, and neither did I. Staring ahead I saw that mama was home, for her beat up, forest green car was in the driveway.

"Think she's asleep?" I asked my brother after a minute or so.

His greenish, blue eyes looked intently at the front door before sighing. "Yeah, probably, I told her she needs to stop taking twelve-hour shifts at the hospital. She needs her rest."

Giving a nod in agreement, I exhaled loudly. "I am so glad Mrs. Dazer gave me a car."

A glare soon found me. "Lucky!"

I chuckled. "Why do you say that? It was to help our family out though I think Mrs. Dazer only gave it to me because Blake begged her."

"Do you ever wonder why Blake's parents stay in this town? They have enough money to move and go live in a mansion, yet, they choose to live in this shithole of a city." Linx spat in a slightly angry voice.

I started to think about it for a second. It was true, Blake's parents were very wealthy. His dad was a doctor, yet he managed to be a part of his children's life. His wife, Mrs. Dazer was a very famous author, but since she published her books under a different name, she has been able to stay under the radar.

Looking at my house, I couldn't help but feel envy towards them. They had everything going for them, thinking about how they don't live paycheck to paycheck makes me a little jealous.

"I'm not sure why they stay in this town either."

"We best go in, like mice," Linx stated before hopping out of the car.

Following suit, I trailed behind him as he unlocked the front door and strolled in.

Surprise fell over me as I walked in because my mom wasn't asleep. Instead, she was rushing around the room with her brown hair tied in a messy bun. She was cleaning, that much I could tell as I studied her from the door. Her arms were stretching out as she grasped a dirty dust rag and wiped it across the top of the bookshelf.

I examined our living room, the white carpet looked vacuumed, the mirror above our green sofa had clearly been cleaned, and every inch of the house so far was spotless.

"Momma, what are you doing?" Linx asked as he dropped the keys in a small bowl that sat on a table by the door.

Twisting around, mom's chocolate brown eyes gazed at us. "Oh, hey you two! I made coffee!"

Linx rolled his eyes and went more into the living room. "I thought we banned coffee after finding out that you and Sapphire don't do well with it." He stated and then sat down on the couch. He began to kick his feet up on the coffee table, but mom stopped him.

"I just cleaned that!" She stated in anger.

With a sigh, he kept his feet down.

"Why are you cleaning?" I asked as I made a mental note to get some coffee in a minute.

"My best friend, Kay and her husband are coming over today! They have just got back from their cruise in the Bahamas! I haven't seen them in over two months, you know in between my busy schedule and theirs, we haven't really sat down and talked. They plan on being here around three."

Linx looked at his wristwatch. "Oh will you look at that, it's two fifty-nine."

Mom's face paled before she dropped her dirty rag on the floor and dashed off to what I was guessing was her room.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "How is it one minute till three? When I got out of you car, it was only two thirty."

Linx gave a goofy grin.

"You are horrible, mama is now going to be rushing around thinking her friend will be here any minute."

Shrugging, Linx got off the couch. "I'm headed to my room... Hey, mind if I use your car tonight?"

"Why?" I asked, knowing he didn't have to work tonight.

He rubbed the back of his neck. "There is this party-"

"No!" I shouted at him. "You are not going to a party!"

"Please, just let me borrow the car!"

"I said no." I stated and then walked to my room. I could tell that Linx was following me because I could hear his heavy footsteps behind me as I got closer and closer to my room.

Once in I didn't bother closing the door, for I knew that he would somehow pick the lock and get in.

"Why?! Why can't I borrow the car?!" His voice seeped into a whine.

I tried not to smile, for he was a teenager, but the way he was acting reminded me of a three-year-old that wasn't getting his way. "Because, Linx, if you get drunk, I will not have you driving my car! Not only might you damage the car, but you could get hurt."

"Who says I'll drink? Will you please let me take the car?" I saw the steel look in his eyes, and I knew no matter what I said, he wasn't giving up.

I growled in defeat. "If you get drunk, I will kick your ass!"

Linx gave me a huge hug. "Yes! I won't get drunk and ruin your car!" He exclaimed as he spun me around.

Giggling, I knew he would keep his promise.