Chapter 7

June 20th, 2019,
Murtala Muhammed Airport,
Lagos, Nigeria.

The Johnsons spoke to the doctors about going on a holiday abroad. The doctors had told them that it was a good idea and like always, Anthony asked if nothing would go wrong. The doctors told them to administer steroids before she boards a flight and after the flight.

Anthony had spoken to an agent earlier and had booked a flight for the four of them.

They got to the airport at 3 p.m. as their flight was taking off at 4 p.m. and according to Victoria, they can't take any chances that's why they were at the airport that early.

“Welcome to Murtala Muhammed International Airport. Wha- Ahhh! Captain, Good afternoon.” The check-in attendant smiled.

“Ahh! Bisi. How are you?” Anthony asked.

“Fine sir. Do you want to....” Bisi asked.

“No, we've already booked a flight with Ethiopian airlines. Just check us in.” Anthony smiled.

“Okay sir.” Bisi smiled and noticed Victoria.  “Ahh! Hello ma'am.”

“Hello.” Victoria replied dryly.

“I'm a very good fan of yours. I love your movies.” Bisi said.

“Oh. Is that so?” Victoria asked.

“Yes. I love your charisma and I loved your role in...” Bisi said.

“Oh good. Thank you.” Victoria smiled.

“Can I have a selfie with you?” Bisi asked.

“Sure.” Victoria took a selfie with Bisi and then...

“Ahh! That's Victoria Johnson.”

People started rushing towards them and with time, lights were flashing, cameras were clicking and phones were set to take selfies with her.

Anthony moved his daughters aside and whispered to Bisi after she managed to get away from the crowd. “Check us in.”

“Yes sir.”

After a while, Victoria joined them at the waiting area of the airport.

“I see your fans found you all the way here.” Anthony said.

“Somebody is jealous.” Victoria flicked her hair to the side.

“Well, you can say that.” Anthony sighed.

“I don't see the need for you to be jealous.  As it is, you have your own fans at your workplace.” Victoria said.

“What do you mean?” Anthony asked.

“Daddy. Don't tell me you didn't notice the way Mummy was looking at you when that woman was talking to you.” Mercy said.

“Which woman? You mean Bisi? Bisi is just...” Anthony said.

“W-We know who Bisi is. But Mummy doesn't. It was as if she w-wanted to strangle that woman f-for touching her husband.” Brenda said.

“Ex-husband.” Anthony corrected and looked away.

“Oh right.” Brenda sighed.

All she wanted was for her family to be together and happy.  But her parents divorce  keeps getting in the way all the time.

Attention! Passengers boarding the Ethiopian airlines flight number 65 to UK…

Victoria jumped up. “Hey girls! That's our call.”

The Johnsons picked up their things and walked to the departures gate in excitement for their holiday.

Few minutes later...

Welcome to Ethiopian airlines. Thank you for choosing our flight…

“I can't believe we are finally going to UK. Brenda thank you for falling sick.” Mercy said as Brenda chuckled.

“Mercy?!” Anthony and Victoria yelled.

“Sorry.” Mercy sighed.

Dear passengers, please get seated and fasten your seatbelts as we are about to take off…

Preparing for take-off. Preparing for take-off.

Brenda used her drug before the flight took off and fell asleep when they were on air.

“It's good to see my daughter sleep like this. I can't believe that one day, it would just be us three and she'd be long gone.” Victoria sighed.

“It's going to be fine. This is what God wants for us.” Anthony subconsciously gave her hand a light squeeze.

Victoria turned to look at him and then he took his hand off hers.

“No, no. It's okay. I didn't have a problem with it.” Victoria sighed.

“I...Uh..I'm sorry.” Anthony apologized.

“You don't have to be. I actually needed that. I want us to...”

“We are divorced.” Anthony reminded her.

Three  hours later....

Brenda and Mercy were watching movies on their personal television located in the seat back of the chair in front of them. They both were using headsets found in the seat pockets when an air hostess came to them.

“What would you like to have?”

No reply.

“Hello.” She tapped Brenda.

“Arggh! Oh my God!” Brenda was startled and she removed her headset.

“I'm sorry.  What would you like to eat?” The woman asked.

Brenda tapped her sister. “Mercy. W- What should we eat?”

“Let's ask Mummy and...” Mercy turned to see her parents fast asleep as Victoria's head was against Anthony's chest with their hands intertwined in eachother.  “ Brenda, look at that.”

“Aww...” Brenda smiled.

“Mummy! Daddy! What do you want to eat?” Mercy called out to them.

They both jerked awake.

“What's wrong? Is Brenda okay?” Victoria asked.

“I'm just fine. W-What would you l-like to eat?” Brenda asked.

“I...We...” Victoria paused as she realized their fingers were still intertwined.

Anthony noticed this and let go. “Sorry.”

“Yeah.” Victoria sighed, embarrassed.  “Um..I'll just have a salad. You can get them...”

“Mummy! We asked what you want to eat? We didn't tell you to...” Mercy shook her head.

“Sorry.” Victoria sighed.

She turned to steal a glance at Anthony after the awkward situation between them. Immediately she turned, she saw that he was looking at her. Their eyes met. They both looked away at once.

Mercy whispered to Brenda. “See how Mummy and Daddy are getting so close.”

Brenda smiled. “I can see that. I wish they fall in love again and start regretting their decision to get divorced.”

“Even if they regret their decision, they might not do anything about it.” Mercy sighed. “Let's pray for them to get married again.”

In no time, their food was brought to them and they all ate in silence while Brenda and Mercy continued with their movies.