Chapter 48

Jeff Hôtel

The Barkers arrived in Paris and were in Anthony's room. Anthony had spoken to Damon over the phone about their problem and he'd even cried. Damon had tried comforting him and told him that all will be well but Anthony had yelled at him and hung up.

They had surprised the Johnsons with their arrival in Paris.

“What brings you here?” Anthony had asked.

“How can you ask that? You are like our family.” Damon said.

“Victoria.” Elizabeth drew her into a hug.

“How are you?” Victoria asked.

“I'm fine. How do you feel?”

“Scared.” Victoria sighed.

“Mercy,” Chloe hugged her. “You must be feeling lonely without your sister.”

“Am I permitted to join in the hug?” Alex asked.

Mercy shrugged. “Do what you like.”

Alex joined in the hug. “You all are going to be fine. She'd be fine.”

“How can she be? She almost strangled my father to death. She is gone.” Mercy cried.

“Yes, I understand but it's just the tumor that is the problem. It'd be over after the surgery this afternoon.” Alex assured her.

“Have you guys had anything to eat?” Elizabeth asked.

“No.” Mercy shook her head.

“How can we eat? My daughter is fighting for her life with those stupid tumors in her brain.” Anthony hissed.

“You have to stay strong for her. Let's go and eat together.” Chloe said.

“No, we can't.” Mercy said.

“C'mon. Do it for Brenda.” Damon said.

“Brenda is gone.” Anthony sighed.

“Okay, do it for the Brenda you knew.” Alex said.

“And what will happen?” Victoria asked.

“You will probably bring her back.” Elizabeth said.

The Johnsons passed eachother a sad look and then shrugged.

“Aww...C'mon. You've got this.” Damon clapped his hands. “Let's go find something to eat, okay?”

They all went to the hotel restaurant as the Barkers worried about the Johnsons.  Their faces were dull and swollen.

“C'mon. Cheer up guys. Brenda will be fine.” Chloe said.

“Can you guarantee that?” Mercy asked.

“100%. I know it deep down that she'll make it out of this.” Chloe grinned.

“Prove it.” Victoria said.

“Wait till afternoon. I'll show you a smiling Brenda after the surgery.” Chloe said confidently.

“Steak frites.” Damon said to the waiter who came to take their orders.

“What's that?” Mercy asked.

“Sweet food.” Chloe licked her lips.

“You sure took your time to take our order!” Alex yelled at the waiter who already left.

“He can't understand english.” Mercy sighed.

The waiter returned with a waitress as they both set their food on the table.

“And you are here on time because you have a lady with you.” Alex laughed.

“He doesn't understand english Alex.” Mercy said.

“Yes, I do.” The waiter said.

“What?! How is that possible?” Alex looked up at him.

“It is in every possible way.” The waiter said and left with the waitress who giggled.

“Now guys, eat up!” Damon clapped his hands.

“We paid for this. You can't waste it.” Elizabeth said.

“We will refund the bill.” Anthony said.

“That's not it! Just eat up. It was made with love.” Chloe said, eating away at her food.

“Do it for Brenda!” Alex said.

The Barkers finally managed to convince the Johnsons to eat and they did.