Chapter 30

The Johnsons were back home in their penthouse. Victoria and Mercy were busy playing snooker while Brenda watched them. Anthony stood by the window with his hands in his pockets as he took in the beautiful view of New York.

“Where did you learn to play? I don't remember teaching you.” Victoria asked.

“At school.” Mercy said.

“Really?” Victoria was surprised.

“Of course, We played it during our leisure time so I learned.” Mercy smiled.

“That's cool. Can Brenda play too?” Victoria asked.

“Yes, she can.” Mercy replied.

Anthony turned to look at them. “Brenda, Why don't you say something? You've been quiet all day.”

“There's nothing for her to say. She's just bored.” Mercy said.

“Why  don't you let her speak for herself?” Anthony suggested.

“Excuse me?” Victoria stood upright from leaning on the cue. “Brenda can talk for herself, it's just the circumstances we find...”

“Have you forgotten what Dr. Parker said so soon?” Anthony asked.

“Oh, right.” Victoria sighed. 

“Brenda. Daddy is right.” Mercy paused. “You know what? Let's engage in conversations all the time. That will help.”

“Brenda, Say something please.” Anthony said.

“I-I-I-I'm th-th-th-thankful.” Brenda said.

“Oh well.” Victoria sighed.

“That's for starters. We've identified our goal.” Anthony took Brenda's hands. “Keep on stretching your words for as long as you want. We don't mind but please don't stay quiet.”

“Ok-k-ay Dad-d-dy.” Brenda nodded.

“This is going to take a lot of effort.” Mercy said.  “Let's return to our game.”

“Where were we?” Victoria took the cue and got prepared to hit the ball when Anthony tapped her. “What now?”

“I was thinking,” Anthony looked from face to face. “Why don't you let Brenda count the scores of your game?”

“Yeah, That's a good idea.” Mercy said.

“And after the game, we could have a little family discussion. What do you think?” Anthony asked.

“Wh-What w-w-will we b-be s-s-s-saying?” Brenda asked.

“Thank you. Keep stretching your words. I like that.” Anthony sighed. “I just feel we should catch up with eachother and spend more time together.”

“What for?” Victoria asked.

“For Brenda. We are going to be talking right? And if we are, she'd be obliged to do so.” Anthony sighed.

“Oh. You almost got me there. I thought...” Victoria said.

“It's not whatever you're thinking. I just want her to talk and get the speech problem over with.” Anthony cut her off.

Victoria and Mercy resumed their game and Brenda watched them as she counted their scores. Anthony remained by the window, thinking.

Then, The Chaffeur came in with guests.

“So it is really true that you both are in New York city?” A man walked towards them.

Victoria stopped playing as her eyes widened with surprise.  Anthony turned around to meet the familiar voice he just heard.