Chapter 23

August 16, 2019.

Kohinoor hospital.

Dr. Leila met with the Johnsons again after they booked an appointment with her for the day after India's independence day.

“Happy Independence Day Doctor.” Anthony beamed.

“Thank you and you too.” Dr. Leila said.

“Me too?” Anthony asked.

“Of course. You are our guest so whatever we do here affects you too.” Dr. Leila sighed. “And you sure look happy. I'm sure you had a nice time yesterday.”

“Of course, we did.” Anthony said.

“I support that.” Victoria smiled. “I didn't like India to start with but it's been a great place so far.”

“That's nice to hear.” Dr. Leila cleared her throat. “So is my dear friend in for this MRI test?”

“I-I-I'm r-r-r-eady.” Brenda said.

“Okay. I hope you've all prepared your mind for the worse and...” Dr. Leila said.

“Please don't scare us. Just take her in.” Mercy said.

“Yes please,” Anthony and Victoria nodded.

Dr. Leila took Brenda away from the room.

Victoria relaxed in her seat and leaned against Anthony. “I hope she'll be okay.”

“She will, she will.” Anthony patted her head.

Mercy, who was seated on the couch in the doctor's office opposite her parents, folded her arms and smiled as she watched them.

“If someone had told me years ago that I'd lose my daughter even before she got married, I'd have left everything and do all I could to save her.” Victoria said.

“Including leaving your job?” Anthony looked down at the head leaning on him.

“Yes, including leaving my job.” Victoria said, unhesitant and without looking up at him.

“You're a star actress remember?” Anthony said.

“But years ago, I was no one in the industry.” Victoria said.

“So now that you're someone, you can't possibly give that up or can you?” Anthony asked.

“No, of course not.” Victoria said.

“What if it could save Brenda?” Anthony asked.

“How?” Victoria looked up at him whilst still leaning on him.

“If you were told that quitting your job and staying with Brenda can help save her life. Would you?”  Anthony asked.

“Of course, I would. This is all my fault. It is my mess and I should fix it.” Victoria said.

“What if everything was my fault?” Anthony asked.

“You know it isn't....”

“What if?” Anthony asked again.

“We're family. We have a problem, we come together and fix things.” Victoria said.  “But you know this is all my fault right?”

“Yes, I do. And it doesn't matter what you did in the past, all that matters is what you're doing now that will affect the future.” Anthony said.

“I know. What should I do?” Victoria asked.

“If you ask me, you don't have to quit your job. You're doing just fine. Just take a break and be with Brenda for the little time she has.” Anthony said.

“But that's what I'm doing.” Victoria said.

“I know and we really appreciate that. It's just...” Anthony  sighed.

“What? Tell me.” Victoria said.

“I just wish the Victoria I knew before she became famous could come back even just for a day.” Anthony looked down at his hands.

“I...I am...” Victoria sat up. “I'm here.”

“Of course, I can see your face. I've watched you grow for years but right now, I'm not feeling the vibe. I can't feel the presence of a Victoria Johnson.  My Victoria Johnson.” Anthony sighed.

“I...” Victoria looked away from Anthony and caught Mercy staring and smiling. “What are you staring at?”

“Star...?” Anthony looked in Mercy’s direction.  “Oh Mercy.”

Mercy was staring and smiling at them and drifted away to her own thoughts. She loved seeing them together. They looked like a happy family and they would make a happy family if they would only let it. Things could flow in the right direction if they stopped trying to get in the way.

“Mercy?!” Victoria yelled.

“Ma? I...Um...Mummy. Is Brenda done?” Mercy asked.

“No, she's not. Now, tell me why you were smiling.” Victoria said.

“And staring too.” Anthony added.

“Smiling and staring?” Mercy looked confused. “Smiling and staring? I was not...”

“You dare not lie to us.” Victoria said.

“I'm not... Oh, Love.” Mercy said.

“Love?” Anthony and Victoria looked at each other.

“Yes, Love.” Mercy nodded.

“What do you mean?” Anthony asked.

“I...” Mercy started to say.

The door opened and Dr. Leila and Brenda walked in.

“Hello Doctor. Any news?” Anthony and Victoria jumped to their feet, looked at eachother and smiled.

“Hmm,” Dr. Leila smiled. “I like what I'm seeing.”

“This isn't the time. Please tell us.” Victoria said.

“I'm sorry but you'd have to wait three days to get the results.” Dr. Leila said.

“Three days?!” Anthony exclaimed.

“Don't we already know that?” Mercy hissed.

“I bet you would. Please take care of Brenda and let her rest.” Dr. Leila said.

The Johnsons made to leave.

“Mr. and Mrs. Johnson.” Dr. Leila called.

“Yes?” Anthony and Victoria turned back.

“I'm not supposed to say this but I like what I saw when I walked in with Brenda. You both can still work things out.” Dr. Leila said.

“We are divorced.” Anthony reminded her.

“Still, you can work things out.” Dr. Leila said.

“Why are you so interested in...?” Victoria said.

“It could also help Brenda,” Dr. Leila passed a glance at both parents as she observed them. “If she sees that both parents are together, it might have a positive effect on her.”

“Yes, thank you.” Victoria said and they left her office.

“The doctor is right you know.” Mercy said.

“Just shut up.” Victoria hissed.