Chapter 13

Anthony stayed in Brenda's room and watched her sleep. Instead of staying on the couch in her hospital room, he sat on a stool near Brenda's bed and started talking to Brenda's sleeping self.

"Brenda," Anthony sighed. "I've been a bad father. Not only to you but to your sister too. Even if you don't react or show it, I know."

He looked around as he felt nervous. Then he turned back to Brenda.

"This trip has been nice because I have you, your sister and your mother with me. Your sickness has served as a blessing in disguise because as divorced parents, we both had to come together for your sake." A pause.

"How I wish we did these things when we were married. She would have definitely made sure that I featured in one of her pictures. Now, I just watch her from a distance whilst she takes pictures and do you know what hurts the most?"

Anthony looked down. "What hurts me most is the fact that your mother keeps mentioning that we're divorced. I... Nevermind, I just wish I had one more chance to make things right. To be a better husband to your mother and to be the best Dad to you both."

Anthony looked at his hands and his body started shaking as he cried into them.

"Daddy?"

"Hmm?" Anthony quickly wiped his tears. "Yes? Yes darling. Do you need anything?"

"I don't. But I th-ink I kn-ow who does." Brenda said.

"Who?" Anthony asked.

"You."

"Me? That's ridiculous. I don't need anything right now. I'm perfectly fine." Anthony sighed.

"That is contra-dicting the lo-ok on yo-ur fa-ce." Brenda said.

"What look?"

"Dad-dy. I hea-rd every-thing." Brenda said.

"W-What did you just say?" Anthony asked.

"Don't you love mother?" Brenda asked.

"I...I...We are divorced." Anthony said.

"Div-orced." Brenda scoffed. "Remem-ber, I'm not a ch-ild. I can see right thr-ough you bo-th."

"See what exactly? I'm lost."

"Don't feign conf-usion Dad. Only me and Mer-cy can help but more of me though. You'd do any-thing be-cause of my sick-ness." Brenda said.

"Okay fine." Anthony gave in. "I regret what happened between us over the years. The fights, the arguments, the staying away from home, the leaving you with the Nanny and everything. I'm even the cause of this your sickness."

"No, no, no. Dad-dy," Brenda tried to sit up. "I..."

"Hold on." Anthony helped her sit up and placed a pillow behind her back. "There."

"Okay. I agree that I didn't like being abandoned by you both. I felt that ev-en though you were busy, you cou-ld take turns in check-ing up on us."

Brenda sighed. "I feel that the most selfish was Mum-my and she sti-ll is. She doesn't ha-ve to take on every scr-ipt all in the name of fame. I under-stand you wi-ll get fired if you..."

"Yes, yes. I get your point." Anthony held her hands. "I just feel that there's more I could have done. If only I'd been a gentleman and been a little more explicit, your mother would have been with you when I wasn't home."

"You know, I used to cry in my room and refused to eat because I felt empty without fam-ily. Mer-cy was out with fri-ends so she wouldn't feel lonely and my parents were al-ways aw-ay fr-om home, it al-most felt as if the Na-nny was my pa-rent." Brenda said.

"No matter how much I apologize, I know I don't deserve your forgiveness. Even Foster parents treat children better than the way I did."

"Da-ddy. No. Since we've been living with you alo-ne, you've be-en a very good Fa-ther." Brenda sighed. "I don't wa-nt to say it but you're a better pa-rent than mother is. If you co-uld ma-nage to cha-nge her for the better. I'm sure your love sto-ry would re-rekindle."

"But how would we get her to change? Your mother is a strong-headed woman."

"Then she wo-uld lo-se you for-ever. We would make her know how much impor-tance you hold in her life." Brenda said.

"How?"

"It's sim-ple. Just be hard on her. Make her yearn for you. And don't let your feelings get the better of you. Th-en, my-self and Mer-cy wo-uld do things to ma-ke her turn to you for help and pro-bably with the he-lp of Uncle Ben and his fa-mily." Brenda said.

"So what if she gives in to this plan and tells me she loves me. What do I do then?" Anthony asked.

"Then make her under-stand that if she wants you to accept her lo-ve for you then she has to do something about her atti-tude and please ma-ke her res-pect you. I don't like the way she talks to you." Brenda said.

"Oh my darling daughter. You're just too smart." Anthony patted her. "I promise to do all I can to gain her back but in a different form.

"N-Now that's like my fa-ther." Brenda smiled.

"Thank you so much my dear." Anthony kissed the back of her hand.

"You don't need to thank me Father. I should be than-king you for agree-ing to it. At least, now I can prou-dly say my pa-rents are toge-ther be-fore I die." Brenda yawned.

"Stop talking about death Brenda. You keep scaring me." Anthony sighed. "You're tired, go to bed now. And thanks once again."

"Stop than-king me Daddy." Brenda chuckled. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight Angel."