Chapter 10

June 21st, 2019.

Cleveland clinic.

12 p.m.

The Johnsons and David arrived at the hospital and they were asked to wait outside as Dr. Spencer isn't available.

“What do you mean by he isn't available?” Anthony asked.

“I'm sorry but he just went out a while ago.” The nurse replied.

“He just went out? But I was told to come here.” Anthony said.

“Who called you here? Dr. Spencer? Do you have an appointment with him?” The nurse asked.

“No, but...” Anthony tried to say.

“Then you'll have to wait till you get an appointment.” The nurse said and left.

“Which stupid appointment? He was recommended to me by a doctor and I came here immediately!” Anthony yelled after her.

Victoria patted his back. “It's okay honey. They will...”

Anthony raised his brow at her.

She took her hands of him. “I...I mean let's be patient.  They will soon attend to us.”

Brenda and Mercy giggled.

David looked at both sisters. “What's going on here?”

Mercy whispered. “You know my parents are divorced right?”

“Yeah so what about it?” David asked.

“D-Didn't you see wh-what just transpired be-between them?” Brenda asked.

“Oh my God! She spoke. That's your longest sentence ever.” David smiled.

Brenda smiled back and looked down.

“Don't make my sister feel embarrassed.” Mercy giggled. “Anyway, the love my parents both had is rekindling.”

“And that's supposed to be funny?” David asked.

“No, of course not. we are just happy and pleased that it's happening. ” Mercy said.

“Mr. and Mrs. Johnson,” A nurse called out.

“Yes, that's us.” Anthony said.

“Divorced.” Victoria said.

“Are you sure their love for eachother is rekindling? Your mum seems to be rubbing it in that they're divorced.” David whispered.

“I'm not sure.” Mercy shrugged.

“Dr. Spencer is now available and you can meet him in his office along with your daughter.” The nurse said.

“Yes, thank you.” Victoria said and they both walked in with Brenda.

“Good day sir.” Anthony smiled. “Dr. Phillip recommended you.”

“Yes, he told me you'd be coming.” Dr. Spencer sighed. “I'm sorry for keeping you waiting. There was an emergency and I had to see the patient at her home.”

“No problem.” Anthony smiled.

“So what's your name?” Dr. Spencer turned to Brenda.

“B-Brenda Jo-Johnson.” Brenda said.

“How old are you?” Dr. Spencer asked.

“Tw-Twenty one.”

“Where are you right now?”

“Mayfair Lo-London.”

“Do you happen to know the name of this hospital?”

Brenda shook her head. “No.”

“Okay good. What have you been diagnosed with?”

“Glio-blastoma Mul-Multiforme.”

“Wow! Impressive.” Dr. Spencer smiled.

“Impressive? She's stuttering and the doctors said that she has speech problems.” Victoria said.

“Yes, I know that. What impresses me is the fact that she still remembers important things.” Dr. Spencer sighed. “In most cases of GBM, the patients tend to lose themselves and I must say that you've done a great job as parents to ensure she remembers at least a little about herself and surrounding.”

“Thank you.” Anthony said.

“Hmm.” Dr Spencer stood up from his seat and walked over to Brenda. “Show me your hand.”

Brenda obeyed.

Dr. Spencer checked her pulse. “All good.” He opened each of her eyes widely and looked into them. “All good. I suppose you've been taking your medications.”

Brenda nodded.

“Great. Your doctors have sent the reports and from it, I can deduce that you don't have much time to live.” Dr. Spencer said.

“Yes, we know that.” Anthony said.

“Is there anything we can do to save her?” Victoria asked.

“It depends on what the patient wants but for her stage of GBM, I advice she undergoes surgery.”

“What?!” Victoria exclaimed. “Surgery? Anthony, did you hear that? He wants us to...”

Anthony cut her off. “I heard everything.  Is there anything else we could do?”

“No. I'm afraid not.” Dr. Spencer sighed.

“I don't want to subject my daughter to that. Most people that undergo surgery don't make it out alive.” Anthony said.

“You gave my daughter 12 months. If we do the surgery even before her time runs out, she'd definitely die.” Victoria said.

“I'm sorry ma'am but we didn't give her 12 months. Once the tumor has reached that stage, it takes 12 months to...” Dr. Spencer said.

“Thank you.  I don't want to hear it. I know my daughter will die soon. You don't have to spell it out for me.” Victoria sighed. “Anthony let's go to the park and get her to have a little bit of...”

“That is very thoughtful of you. I love that you want your daughter to have as much fun as she can but I'd advice that in everything you do, please don't let her  go near the roller coaster.” Dr. Spencer said.

“Why?” Anthony and Victoria asked.

“The rides may trigger blood clots in her brain  and that would pose a serious threat to her.” Dr. Spencer said.

“Thank you doctor.” Anthony said.

And with that, they left his office.

“What did the doctor say?” Mercy asked.

“Brenda is fine. We just need to keep taking care of her and giving her the drugs.” Anthony said.

“What's wrong with her exactly?” David asked.

“Nevermind for now.” Victoria said.

“I'm afraid we'll have to go home now.” Anthony sighed.

“Why? What about the park?” Victoria said.

“Stop thinking about fun all the time. Think about your daughter for once at least. She's tired and her going out to the park could increase her chances of...” Anthony said.

“Fine. Let's go home.” Victoria sighed. “I'm sorry Brenda, in case you feel I'm thinking about fun all the time.”

Brenda nodded.

They all left the hospital and boarded a bus to their home.