Chapter 42

Jeff Hôtel

Paris

The Johnsons walked in and stopped by the reception desk to check-in.

“Bon après-midi.” Good afternoon.  The receptionist greeted.

“Bon après-midi.” Good afternoon.  Victoria replied.

“I can tell that much. They're saying Good afternoon.” Mercy whispered.

“And how did you know that?” Anthony asked.

“We did French in school. I know the basics.” Mercy grinned.

“That means Brenda must know it too.” Anthony said.

“Probably.” Mercy said as Anthony turned to look at Brenda who shrugged.

“Bienvenue à l'hôtel Jeff.” Welcome to Jeff Hôtel.  The receptionist smiled.

“Merci.” Thank you.

“Comment puis-je vous aider?”  How may I help you?  The receptionist asked.

“Nous aimerions réserver des chambres.”  We'd like to book rooms. Victoria turned to Anthony. “How many?”

“Three.”

“Combien?”  How many? The receptionist asked.

“Trois.”  Three.

Victoria got them checked in and were given keys to their rooms as they had their luggage taken in for them.

“This hotel is huge and beautiful!” Brenda said.

“Not as huge as the ones in New York.” Mercy rolled her eyes.

“C'mon. Be grateful and not greedy because you've seen something bigger and better. Except if you want to go back to new York...” Anthony said.

“Yes!” Mercy cried.

“...alone!” Anthony said.

“Arrgh...you're just mean.” Mercy hissed. “Actually, I can go alone. The Barkers would be there.”

“And what would you do when they decide to go for a friend's party or some sleepover or anything?” Victoria asked.

“They'd take me along for sure.” Mercy said.

“You don't know their friends. What if they are racists? What if they don't want people they don't know to start with?” Anthony said.

“Daddy?! I'll stay home with one of the twins. They'd keep me company.” Mercy said.

“Okay, let's assume you're going to New York.” Anthony sighed.

“Yes!” Mercy jumped with ecstasy.

“Calm down.” Anthony hissed. “If you go to New York, don't you want to see your sister take her last breath?”

Those words shocked something in the brains of the Johnsons and even the speaker himself.

“That's an expensive joke you got there.” Victoria sighed.

“I'm not joking. I'm serious. The disease is already critical for Brenda and she could pass anytime.” Anthony sighed.

“Why don't we let her do the surgery? It's already 2020.” Victoria hissed.

“Let's wait a while. Let's show her around Paris.” Anthony suggested.

“You're already certain that you won't see her after the surgery. Aren't you?” Victoria asked.

“Yes, I am.” Anthony nodded.

“Daddy,” Brenda clung to his arm. “I'm right here and I'll forever be.”

“You are in no control over your life.” Anthony sighed.

“But I can control my soul. I'll always be in your hearts Daddy. I'm not leaving you ever.” Brenda said.

“Aww...That's sweet of you to say but I want to have you in presence, I want to be able to feel you around me, touch you and hold your hands. Will you be able to control your soul for that to happen?” Anthony stared at her.

“No Daddy, but...” Brenda said.

They got to the intersection of their various rooms.

“We'd better get some sleep now. We might have a long day tomorrow.” Anthony said.

“Goodnight.” They said to eachother and went into their various rooms.

“Not bad!” Mercy exclaimed as she walked into the room assigned to herself and Brenda.

“It's beautiful.” Brenda slumped on the bed.

“The bed is big.” Mercy smiled. “Let's check out the toilet and bathroom.”

Brenda got up and followed her. “Wow! Superb! This is Paris after all.”

“What do you mean by that? They're not known for beautiful hotels. You would soon see the ugly parts.”

“Shut up! I'm taking a bath now.” Brenda said.

“So you want to be the first person to launch it?” Mercy hissed.

“It's already launched!” Brenda giggled.

“Whatever!” Mercy rolled her eyes. “Go take a bath then.”

“Don't do anything stupid while I'm away.” Brenda warned.

“You can bet on that.” Mercy grinned as Brenda walked into the bathroom.