Chapter 12

June 29th, 2019.

Cleveland clinic

12 a.m.

“Doctor, can you tell us what happened?” Anthony asked.

Himself, Victoria, Ben and Mary had rushed to the hospital as soon as they were called.

“She had a mild seizure.” Dr. Spencer said.

He looked from face to face and sighed.

“Not again. She hasn't had one since we came to London and she's been taking her medications.” Victoria said.

“So this isn't new to you?” David asked.

“Actually, I think you should wait outside. We'll handle it.” Anthony said.

“They're family. Why can't they know?” Mercy said.

“Mercy. No. This is rather...” Victoria said.

“I don't see any harm in telling your family about any health problems.  Or is there doctor?” Ben asked.

“No. not at all.” Dr. Spencer sighed. “You see, Brenda has Glioblastoma multiforme. A brain tumor.”

“Are you kidding me? You should have told us.” David turned to Mercy. “This is no joke.”

“I know you don't want us to get involved but this is something serious that you shouldn't ever keep from family.” Mary said.

“So she doesn't...” Ben started to say.

“You could argue this out later but I'd like to ask her parents,” Dr. Spencer said.

“Yes?” Anthony and Victoria said.

“Do you allow your daughter to drink chilled...?” Dr. Spencer asked.

“No. Not at....” Anthony said.

“She...She had a chilled drink tonight.” David sighed. “Is that what happened?”

“What?!” Victoria exclaimed.

Anthony passed David a sad look. Mercy slammed her hand on her forehead.

“That's what caused the seizure. We carried out a test and figured she took something chilled.” Dr. Spencer said.

“I told you I didn't want her to go to that party!” Victoria yelled at Anthony.

“Mummy! Everything is not his fault!” Mercy said and then turned to the doctor. “How did it cause the seizure?”

“I'm sure you know she has Grade 4 astrocytoma.” Dr. Spencer said.

“What's that?” Victoria asked.

“It's just the final stage of the Glioblastoma.” Dr. Spencer sighed.

“Yes, we know.”

“If you know this, then I expect you to know that she is in a critical condition and any little mistake can pose as a threat to her.” Dr. Spencer said.

“Yes, we know.” Anthony said.

“Going to a party isn't the problem ma'am.” Dr. Spencer said. “Taking chilled juice is the problem.”

“How is it a problem? I still don't get it.” David said.

“Normal humans take chilled drink and could have sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia also known as Brain freeze,” Dr. Spencer paused to look at their faces. “What do you think will happen if a Glioblastoma patient undergoes it?”

“So, she had a brain freeze and that's what...” David said.

“Yes. She has abnormal cells growing in her brain and if she has a brain freeze, you can imagine what that could do to her.” Dr. Spencer said.

“We'd be careful from now on doctor.” Anthony said.

“I know you would and you have to be more careful from now on. In few months, you'd be seeing some changes in her that wouldn't seem pleasant to you. That's why, in this present time, you have to do all you can to make her happy. It's going to be rough.” Dr. Spencer said.

“Alright doctor.” Victoria said.

“We've kept her in a ward and I want her to stay here for a few days so we'll check on her and run a few tests too.” Dr. Spencer said.

“Can we spend the night with her?” Victoria asked.

“Yes sure.” Dr. Spencer smiled.

“Alright. I'm staying.” Anthony, Victoria, David and Mercy said in unison.

Then, they all burst into laughter.

“I see there's lot of love in your family.  Shower her with as much love as you can and don't let her feel anger or sadness.” Dr. Spencer advised.

“Only one of you can stay.” He said.

“I'll stay.” Anthony, Victoria, David and Mercy said again.

They looked at eachother and sighed.

“Let me be with my daughter tonight. Please.” Victoria said.

“Okay.” David and Mercy said.

“No!” Anthony said. “She would ignore Brenda throughout the night, focusing on her looks, social media and everything else but Brenda.”

“Dad's right you know.” Mercy giggled. “You're always wanting to look good all the time.”

“That's not true.” Victoria said.

“Very true Victoria.” Anthony sighed. “Have you seen her Instagram page? She has posted over 100 posts since our trip.”

“Somebody's stalking me huh?” Victoria said.

“You can say that.” Anthony smiled. “I'm staying with Brenda tonight and that's it.”

“Fine.”  Victoria gave in.

“That's more like it.” Anthony turned to the doctor. “Where is her ward?”

“Ward 24. Please make sure you don't disturb her. She needs a lot of rest.” Dr. Spencer said.

“Thank you. I'd do my best.” Anthony said.

“Thank you doctor.” The rest of them said before leaving.

“Please,” David whispered to Anthony. “Tell Brenda that I'm sorry.”

“Will do when she wakes up.” Anthony patted him.

“Thank you.”

The rest of them left the hospital while Anthony stayed behind.