Chapter 40

January 1st, 2020

La Guardia airport,

New York.

It's a new year and probably a new beginning for the Johnsons. They've really been going through a hard time in the past year and have been praying for the new year to bring something new into their lives.

“Happy new year!” So many people around them kept yelling as people lighted off fireworks and firecrackers but the Johnsons kept wondering if this new year would be happy for them.

They all wore sad and dull looks on their faces as the Barkers did everything they could to help them smile and leave the U.S on a good and beautiful note.

“Thank you so much for being there for us.” Anthony said.

“Anytime.” Damon patted him.

“Shall I tell a joke?” Alex asked.

No one replied.

“Why does...?”

“Leave it Alex. Their too sad to listen to a joke right now.” Elizabeth said.

“Brenda, you always cheer your family up. Do something.” Chloe said.

Brenda forced a smile. “Yes. C'mon people, let's not pull faces now. Our world tour isn't over yet.”

“Yes. We know that, we're not going to Nigeria yet.” Victoria said.

“So you guys are still going to other places? Cool.” Chloe grinned.

“What's cool about it? Brenda is going to die along the way and everything will be over, even the places we've been to will be meaningless if Brenda isn't going to be with us to talk about it when we return home.” Mercy said.

“You love being blunt, don't you?” Alex hissed.

“I'm just being straightforward and making everyone understand the reality here.” Mercy said.

“We all know what the reality is, just be cool about it.” Chloe said.

“Alright! Alex what's your joke? That could cheer us up.” Brenda asked.

“What's the first thing a monster eats after he's had his teeth checked?” Alex asked.

“Obviously!” Chloe rolled her eyes.

“The joke's not for you.” Alex turned to Brenda. “You know it?”

“The dentist?” Brenda asked.

“Yes!”

“That's too obvious. Let me try.” Chloe cleared her throat. “Why was the stadium so cool?”

“Because of the fans?” Mercy asked.

Anthony and Victoria's faces broke into a small smile.

“Yes!”

“See, yours was obvious too.” Alex hissed.

“Let me show you how it is done.” Damon cleared his throat. “Why can't a bicycle stand on it's own?”

“Because there's no pole for it to lean on?” Victoria asked.

“Nope. Because it is two tired.”

“Bicycles don't get tired, it's not like they're fueled or something.” Anthony said.

“Two-tyred. They have two tyres.” Brenda said.

“Ahh! Damon! Ha-ha-ha-ha.” Anthony started laughing. The rest of them joined to and started laughing.

Announcement! Flight...

“That's your flight Tony.” Damon drew Anthony into a hug. “Take care.”

“Thank you so much for putting a smile on our faces yet again.” Anthony smiled.

“We've really done nothing, your hearts are not happy.” Damon said.

“I'm sorry that we couldn't do much to help and our jokes were boring too.” Alex and Chloe said.

“No, don't say that. We are grateful for your nice attempt.” Brenda smiled.

Elizabeth hugged Victoria. “Have a safe trip you guys.”

“Bye!” They waved to eachother before finally departing.