Chapter ♞ 23: Sketchbooks & Movies (4)

A/N written by the fabulous Lunaishi
She said it was "short" but her definition is way different from mine... this is decent. B)

After excusing yourself from Haru's place, you and Karou walked silently side by side. It was starting to drizzle a little, not that you minded. The soft pitter-patter of the rain filled in the awkward silence between the two of you. Kaoru on the other hand seemed to want to get out of the rain, and so you both headed to the local cafe.

As the smell of coffee hit you, you breathed in deeply, almost forgetting the bad humour Kaoru was in.

"Want to get something?" you asked him, but then stopped when you saw the look he gave you. It wasn't... nice. You got coffee anyway, it was better to stare into your cup rather than endure Kaoru's intimidating gaze. You sat opposite the red head at a table by the window, the passing people and traffic going by without you noticing. Kaoru was unbuttoning his jacket, brushing away a few droplets of rain that were clinging onto the expensive material. His hair had little drops of water in it too, and you realised yours must've been a little damp as well.

"I'll ask you again. What did you do to Hikaru?"Your thoughts were interrupted by Karou's sudden question. You looked up from your coffee cup to meet his intense stare.

"I didn't do anything." You said, a slight tone of defiance in your reply. Karou narrowed his eyes. "Hikaru hasn't left his room ever since he went to keep an eye on you on your date."

Karou said the last word with venom in his voice.

He knows about the 'date' too..?

You ran a hand through your hair. "At the end of the day, Hikaru hit Nao with a football. In fact, during the whole day he did horrible things. I guess I just snapped," You sighed while explaining.Karou just looked at you incredulously.

"Is that all you did?" he asked you. You nodded. Karou sighed. "You really messed him up, you know?" he said. He began ripping up a napkin into little pieces on the table. You cocked your head to one side.

"What do you mean?" you asked, confused.

"Hikaru." Karou began to speak, but changed his mind. "It's a thing for later." he said.You studied Kaoru closely. His eyelashes were a little wet, and his elbows were placed on the table. Although he wasn't looking at you, you decided he wasn't mad anymore. You took a final sip of your coffee, before you finished it. When you put down your cup, you saw Kaoru staring at you.

"What?" you asked. You were hoping to talk about Hikaru, you were worried about him staying in his room. But Kaoru's gaze was so...intense. As if he was looking for something, and you had it.

"You have something on your lip." he said, and leaned forward across the table. His face was inches away from yours, and you were about to lean back when suddenly...bam.

His lips were on your own. Surprisingly soft, and a little wet from the rain, Kaoru's lips melted into yours. You could smell his aftershave, and your eyes were still open. What felt like forever was only seconds, and he pulled away. You immediately turned red, and glanced around the cafe. An elderly woman was smiling sweetly at you, and a young boy sniggered. Kaoru looked out the window, as if kissing you was nothing, and you followed his gaze. Standing across the road, and staring at you was Nao. He looked so sad, you almost got out of your seat to go over to him. His hands were in his coat pockets, and he quickly turned and disappeared into another street.

"Wait-" you began to speak, but obviously he wouldn't be able to hear you. Kaoru grabbed your hand, and tugged you down to the table again.

"We need to sort out your troubles Hikaru." he said seriously. You were torn between going after Nao, and staying. But what would you even say once you found Nao? You stayed where you were. Kaoru began telling you how Hikaru was behaving. He hadn't left his room, and hadn't come down for dinner either. The servants left him food, but whether he ate it or not was a mystery. This got you worried. Was Hikaru starving himself? Kaoru continued to talk about his twin brother. He was worried, you could tell from his body language and facial expressions. You couldn't help but bring a finger to your lips though. That sudden kiss was all that was in your mind.

"I'll go to him." You said determinedly. You needed to snap Hikaru out of it. And maybe you were a little mean to him that day. Kaoru nodded.

"That seems like the best course of action, but whether or not he'll talk to you is the real question," 

(This bit is added by Bry_anime, so it may seem out of place. A 2nd kiss scene.)

Suddenly Kaoru reached into his satchel, that was resting on the arm of his chair, and you saw the flash of his sketchpad inside. He saw the glint in your eye, and reluctantly pulled it out.

"Do you just... carry that around?"

Kaoru ignored your question and flipped to a page where he had sketched a simple flower, that was also high in detail. You looked at it from afar. Kaoru decided to let you get a better glance and -once again- leaned over the table. He put the sketchbook up in the air, so it was blocking your view from the window, and people looking outside, couldn't see your faces.

"What are you-"

He brushed his lips against yours again, as if he wanted to savour the two second moment. He pushed forward more until your lips were fully connected... yer you didn't pull away...
(Scene end.)

With a feeling of dread in your stomach, you and Kaoru left the cafe, and you said goodbye to him when he walked you back home. Kaoru promised to tell you whether you could come over or not, and so all you had to do now was wait.

But waiting can be harder than it sounds.

A/N

Okay, what did you waffles think???

Vote Goal: 60