Chapter 2

Cole's POV

I yawn, leaning against the counter. The coffee machine pours out the dark liquid, but not nearly fast enough. It feels as if I'm going to fall asleep again at any moment. Lloyd sits at the table, just as exhausted as I am.

"Can you pour me a cup too?" he asks, rubbing his eyes.

"Aren't you like...seven? You definitely shouldn't have some; it'll stunt your growth," I muster up the energy to tease him.

He rolls his eyes,"I'm sixteen, Cole, maybe not chronically but physically."

"I know, I know," once the pot finishes brewing, I pour it into both the black and green mugs. I bring him his, resting it in front of him. "I was just teasing you, Greenie."

He takes a sip of it before spitting it out. "What's wrong with this coffee?"

"It's black, no creamer or sweetener," I answer, taking a long sip.

"That's gross," he stands up, walking over to the cupboard where we keep the sugar. He takes four tablespoons and dumps them in, never even pausing to taste between tablespoons.

"No, that's gross," I correct him, shaking my head.

"What is gross is that you two drink your coffee at that heat. Iced coffee is superior," Zane walks in with Kai, fresh out of morning training. Kai is dripping sweat, a towel wrapped behind his neck and over his shoulders. He has on a white, ribbed tank top with red basketball shorts.

"Pfft, iced coffee is for chumps. If my coffee isn't over 200 degrees, I don't want it," Kai declares. He walks over to the fridge and pulls out a water bottle. He twists open the cap before taking a long drink.

"Not all of us have burn proof tongues, Kai," I grumble, my lack of energy apparent. The noise just makes me want to go back to bed.

"That's not my fault. You guys just aren't evolved," he shrugs.

"My bad, I'll just become an elemental master of fire. Why didn't I think of that?" I take another sip of my coffee.

"Oooo, we're switching elemental powers now? I want to be Cole," Jay walks into the room, a smile on his face. He's already dressed for the day, his blue jacket layered over a white t shirt. In his hands, he has one plate of pancakes and one plate of toast, ranging from the nearly burnt pieces that Kai likes to the pieces that are only slightly browned. My stomach grumbles at the sight. "I made food!" he sets the plates down on the table.

"You do not typically prepare breakfast for us. Is there a special occurrence today?" Zane asks, taking a seat at the table.

"Today is a great day, my nindroid friend," he says, touching Zane's shoulders as he walks past to reach the counter. "The birds are chirping; Ninjago is safe. Everything is at peace."

"Except it isn't. Mara and Ciara could show up at literally any time," Kai says, raising an eyebrow at Jay. He shrugs.

"All I'm saying is that technically, there is no threat actually in Ninjago at the moment, and we should enjoy that," he walks to the cupboard, grabbing a cup before filling it up with water. Once it's filled, he takes a sip, "Ah, refreshing."

"Is everything alright, Jay?" Lloyd asks, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Everything is more than alright. Everything is perfect," he says, placing his glass on the counter. "Oh, and Nya and I aren't going to be here today. We're going to see my parents."

"Why is Nya going with you to see your parents?" Kai asks before taking a bite of toast. Everything clicks in my mind.

"You did it," I realize.