Chapter 13

*the 2 days later*

Nya's POV

"Ugh!" I groan, slamming my fist against the counter next to the computer we hooked the machine up to. Today, we finished the machine, so we hooked it up to the computer to try to get into PIXAL's system. Instead of working, we keep getting an error message on the computer. "We've been troubleshooting for an hour, and everything we did did absolutely nothing."

"According to my scan, we built the machine void of errors. It is unknown to me what could be wrong," Zane says. I clench my jaw, glaring at the machine.

"What if I..." Jay places his hand on the machine and sends a small electrical current through the machine in case it doesn't have enough energy. Nothing happens. "Darn."

"We've tried everything. This dumb machine won't work," I rage, clearly exasperated.

"We can't just not use it. I mean yeah, there are other options, lots of other options, but not all will work. Besides, this one is the safest by far. What if we... no.... what about...nope not that either," Jay paces back and forth behind me.

"If this attempt is futile, there are always other avenues we ca..." Zane starts.

"No, we've worked so hard on this. We can't give up now," I say, examining the machine even more.

"My ma always said that the best way to work was on a full stomach," Jay says,"and I'm absolutely starving. We should eat some food and come back."

"I am not opposed."

"Nya?"

"I'm going to stay here," I tell him, determined. "I can figure it out."

"You sure?"

"Positive."

"Alright. Do you want me to bring you back something?" he asks softly.

"Something small, please. I'm not that hungry."

"Alright. I'll bring you something when I come back. Text me if you want anything specific," he places a chaste kiss on my cheek. Jay and Zane walk out, and I hear Jay's voice die down as they reach the kitchen.

With the newfound silence, not that I don't enjoy the sound of Jay's voice, I can focus more on the machine. I check the wiring for an obvious mistake, such as when I didn't line the wires up with the right adaptors when I first talked to Jay. There's no mistake. I try to flip switches on and off, but I keep getting the same error message.

When I'm about to crawl under the machine, I hear the door close from the adjacent room and some footsteps.

"I can't believe you just did that," Misako says, and I can envision her crossing her arms.

"I did not do anything wrong," Garmadon counters.

"You were pressuring him! It's his choice, not yours," at that, I know I should stop listening, but I can't help but pay even more attention.

"I'm also his older brother. I want to help him. He...he's in denial, as am I, but I know that we must..."

"You must do nothing," Misako tells him sternly. "You might be one of their Sensei's now, but Wu has been with these boys for years. He loves them like they're his own sons. When he's ready to tell them, he will."

"He'll never be ready to tell them. That's what I was trying to explain to him. He needs to do it soon. They deserve to know."

"Have you seen this place? Zane, Jay, and Nya are pulling their hair out at that machine. Lloyd and Cole come back everyday worn out and nearly fall asleep as soon as they hit their beds. Kai has been off with the enemy trying to persuade her to come to our side. The last thing any of them need is this."