Chapter 10

*two days later*

Jay's POV

"Thank you," I smile at Zane who hands me a fresh bowl of chicken noodle soup.

"Are you sure she'll be able to keep it down?" Zane asks, looking at the bowl I asked him to make, skeptically.

"She kept down the toast I gave her earlier, so I think she can," I admit before letting out a sigh. "I hate it when she's sick. I just want to fix it and make her feel better, but I can't."

Several days ago, Nya started feeling uneasy. We all thought she was just stressed about Kai being away, but once she threw up, we realized that she was actually sick. I took her temperature, and she had a fever. Since then, I've been taking care of her, mildly to her annoyance since she wants to feel capable.

"It appears that she has passed the worst of it. She will get better soon," he gives me a compassionate smile, taking off his pink apron.

"I know. It just sucks though. This is the type of stuff we got in elementary school and built an immunity for. I just wish that she could have had a normal childhood. It's clear it's all taken a toll on her," I look over my shoulder in the direction of her door.

"Yes, but if she was here her whole life, perhaps she would be different, or things in general would be different. What if that influenced Kai to not become a ninja?" Zane brings up, and I can't help but think about the possibility.

"You're right," I tell him. "You always are. Well, I'm going to bring this to her," I tell him, making him nod. I maneuver through the partially absent Bounty, missing Kai, Cole, and Lloyd. Misako, Garmadon, and Wu have also been especially quiet lately, so it's as if they're not here also. Once I reach Nya's door, I quietly open it. She's standing up across the room from the couch she's been sleeping on, writing something on a piece of paper.

"Nya, why aren't you lying down?" I sigh. Even when she was throwing up, she kept standing up to try to prove she's well enough to work on the machine to get into PIXAL's system that we've been working on. We want to contact her remotely, a much safer option, and send her the videos of the kidnappings. We believe that if she sees them, she'll show them to the others and they'll switch over.

"I'm fine, Jay," she says, but her voice sounds tired and her face is pale. I sigh.

"I brought you soup, courtesy of Zane," I try to say softly, holding up the bowl of soup.

"I'm not hungry," she tells me, her eyes still focused on her work.

"Nya, all you've been able to keep down for days is a single piece of toast. I think it'd be good to eat some more," I suggest. When she doesn't answer, I put the bowl down in the table. "I'll make you a deal. If you come here and eat, we can snuggle and work on the machine."

"As tempting as that sounds, won't that get you sick?" she asks as if I haven't given her countless kisses and hugs these past several days.

"Zane checked my blood, and I have the antibodies for what you have. Even if I contract it, I won't get sick," I tell her. Quietly, she walks over, taking the seat next to me on the couch.

"You're my weakness, Jay Walker," she admits, shaking her head, before taking the soup. "I'm fine, by the way."

"That's what you said after you threw up for the first time, and the second time, and the third time..." I say, making her shake her head.

She cautiously takes a bite. "Well, I'm serious this time," she says, but I can tell she's still feeling off. Her skin is pale, and her eyes look in pain.

"Alright," I let her have this one, knowing that she's stubborn and will cooperate better if I let her believe I think she feels better. "We can start on it once you finish eating."