(6) Entrance Exam

Y/N

I felt my heart clench again when I heard Mic say the word 'suffer'. I ignored it, not in the mood to be experiencing flashbacks at the moment.

'Alright. Let's do this! No distractions until the exam is over," I chided to myself.

"Since they're robots, there's going to be no need for me to use any energies right now," I mumble to myself as I sprint. "There's also probably no use for my wings right now either."

I glow up my legs, pushing through the crowd until I find a vacated area with a few robots. I shoot fire balls and flames at them with Orange Flame, and turn my giddiness into Red Flame to combat the close range ones.

"24.."

"37.."

"63.." I mutter, in an attempt to keep track of my score. 'That should be about enough now.' I had grown a little tired.

I glance around at the rest of the contestants, before landing my eyes on a boy who was just walking around, about to be crushed by a robot. He hasn't seemed to notice it, or anything at all surrounding him for that matter.

On instinct I pull out my wings and turn them yellow, rushing over to pick him up bridal-style. I shot another Orange Fire ball towards it, disintegrating it completely. As I was flying back and away from the pile of ash, I noticed the guy I'd been carrying seemed to have flicked a switch, or something.

'He kind of looks like a human Pikachu...'

The yellow-haired guy looks around then up at me, before his face explodes into a deep crimson. I set him down, asking if he was alright.

"Y-y-yea.. thank you..?"

"Y/N," I shoot him a smile.

"Denki Kamimari," he informs me.

"Well nice to meet you Kaminari, I hope you feel better! I'm gonna go destroy a few more robots while I can. Ah- I also might've accidentally healed some of your injuries too!" I wave at him, before sprinting off and leaving him baffled.

In the rush to save Kaminari, I got a huge boost of energy, which I could only assume was the adrenaline. Figuring I might as well put it to good use, I decided to try something new.

"Now.." I begin, biting down my tongue on the side of my mouth, trying to concentrate. Purple fire comes out of my palms. (A/N your own flames don't burn you but other ones can, although you have a bit of a resistance to them) I mould them into arrow like shapes, before shooting them forth into the crevices of the robots joints. Once they were all secure, I turned the arrow back to their original form and turned up their temperature, burning at least a few of the robots that were surrounding me.

'79, I think now? I'm pretty sure most of those were 3 pointers.'

"Did you see that?"

"Yeah! That girl just took out like 10 of them at once!"

"She also saved that blonde kid from earlier too,' another cuts in.

I sigh, remembering what Dad had told me earlier:

"You have a very powerful quirk. People will talk, just ignore them and focus on your goal."

'Dang, I'm tired now' I tell myself, although I'm reality it was just minor exhaustion and I wanted to give myself a break.

After flying up to one of the taller buildings, I lay down and keep watch for any nearby monsters. If I saw one pass by, I'd just shoot Purple Flame at them in its arrow form, as it was probably (with the exception of Green Flame & Blue Flame) one of the easiest of my flames to control.

Typically I would've used Orange Flame, but there were so many people around and I didn't want to risk accidentally injuring them.

"THE TEST.. IS OVER!!!" I hear Mic scream over the speakers. Relieved, I began walking out of the fake city with the everyone else, fairly drained.

As I was walking, I heard talk of a student who had managed to take out one of the zero pointers with a single punch. 'Powerful..' But then I heard about how bloodied up he was, how his arms and legs broke from the backlash of it.

Thump.

My heart rate started to increase, and so did my walking speed, eventually turning into a full on sprint. However, by the time I got home I was already in far too deep. "No.. no no no no no.." I whisper, just as my vision goes black.

(Flashback)

I was sitting in the waiting room with Kota. I remember trying to stay as calm as possible so I wouldn't scare him more than need be. I hold him close to my chest, not wanting to let go.

"Y/N.. Come on, we have to go home now. There's nothing else they can do anymore," I heard Mandalay say.

I look up to see her eyes puffy and swollen, indicating that she's clearly been crying. 'They're.. dead?'

I was visiting the Waterhose couple and Kota for his birthday. Me and Kota stayed in their house when his parents got called out for something, and they insisted they'd be back soon. We waited and waited until Mandalay came through the door, telling us to come with her.

'No way.. I'm so sorry, Kota.' I cried into the sleeping boy's body. He'd later find out what happened but.. he was way too young. Too young to have both of his parents taken away from him; heck, he was younger than me when it happened!

The rest of the night was mostly a blur. Mandalay took Kota from my arms and held him while I just stood there. Dad came in not too soon after and drove me back home. I fell asleep, I think?

Ever since then I haven't been able to see Kota as much as I would've liked to. The Pussycats were almost always busy with mountain rescues and such, far away from me. I missed him. I wanted to be there for him but I couldn't. I felt so.. worthless.

(Flashback End)

"Nngh.." I grumble, trying to sit up. 'I'm back home? What happened..?'

"About time you got up," grunts a voice from beside me, "You passed out in the front yard of all places and made me carry you inside."

"A-ah.. sorry. I just.. remembered something," I squeak, watching his expression soften.

"Them, or Kota?" He asks me, knowing exactly who I could've been thinking about.

"Kota.." I whisper, before hiding my face in his neck. I hated being so weak. Mostly I could ignore it whenever my heart clenched up like that and move on with my day, but.. I missed him so bad. Waterhose too. We did visit pretty often for a while after it happened but then I started going less and less. "I miss all of them so much."

Dad doesn't say anything. He just holds me close and strokes my hair, what he always does whenever I get like this. 'I'm so weak' was all I could think. 'If I wasn't so weak back then I could've saved papa. I would've been able to comfort Kota better too.'

"Hey now.. now guilt, remember? If you're feeling down.." he waited.

"Turn it into determination," I finish off with a smile. That was something Uncle Toshi, Dad and I had made up years ago when I began getting these 'freak-outs'.

After a while, my rapidly beating heart began to calm down. I dragged myself into my room, muttering a "goodnight," before shutting my door.

'I will get stronger. For them, I have to.'

~August 27th, 2020~