Chapter 4

Iroh took a deep breath, looking at the door that lead to the Commander's private quarters.

He reached into his pocket, squeezing the tile he'd been carrying all day.

He released the tile and lifted his fist to knock.

Iroh pounded his knuckles against the door.

"Enter," He heard the Commander's voice.

Iroh opened the door and stepped in, closing the door behind him.

He turned to the room. The Commander usually had a groomed, yet grungy, appearance. His quarters seemed to contrast what might be expected of a man with his appearance.

The room was spotless, with only a messy desk that was littered with maps and letters.

"You wanted to see me, Commander Bumi?" Iroh asked, looking at the man, whom was sitting on the floor wearing a set of pajamas instead of his uniform.

A tray with a steaming tea kettle and two cups sat in front of his crossed legs.

"Iroh, we're alone and far from any prying ears," Commander Bumi said in a gentle tone, one that did not match the man's strict mannerism earlier in the day. "You can call me, Dad."

Iroh's jaw tightened and he sighed, "What's this about, Father?"

"Oh, now it's father? Feels like just yesterday you were teaching your sister to call me 'The Commander'," Bumi said, gesturing to the open space across from him.

Iroh sat on his knees in the spot, "Sorry, it's just habit from having to be formal all the time."

Bumi scoffed, grabbing one of the cups and setting it in front of Iroh, "Tell me about it. I hate having to work with new recruits."

"I'll assume that wasn't meant to be offensive," Iroh smirked with a raised brow.

"All I'm saying is, you recruits are too serious, so then I have to act all serious or else everyone thinks they can get away with stuff or they're 'in danger' because I'm--"

"A mad man," Iroh cut him off with a chuckle.

Bumi smiled, picking up the tea kettle, "It's been too long since I've heard that laugh."

Iroh nodded faintly, before joining the United Forces, the last time he had seen his father was nearly a year prior at Suki's birthday party.

"I just hope soon I can actually be the man that got me to this position."

Iroh nodded, "I do too. You will terrify everyone."

"Want some?" Bumi asked, holding the spout of the kettle pointed at Iroh's cup. "It's ginseng; your favorite."

Iroh nodded faintly.

"So, what was your problem today?" Bumi asked, pouring the tea into his son's cup.

"What do you mean?" Iroh asked, acting oblivious.

"Iroh, you forgot your hat," Bumi said. "Then you let yourself get into a fight."

"I overslept and forgot in my rush to be on time. I didn't let myself get into a fight, Yuku has hated me since we met."

"You never forget anything unless there's something bothering you," Bumi said.

"How would you know," Iroh spat. "I grew up seeing you once every six months if I was lucky!"

Bumi lowered his cup, his eyes falling to the tray with a dark look.

Iroh rubbed his forehead, "I...I didn't mean that, Dad. I'm sorry."

Bumi waved him off, "You're right."

"No I'm not, I know you tried your hardest to be there," Iroh said, "And you were always there when I needed you."

Bumi sighed, taking a drink from his cup.

Iroh's jaw tightened.

"I miss Suki."

Bumi looked up, seeing Iroh with his head down.

"We've never been separated for more than three days...now it's three weeks and I'm worried about her."

Bumi set his cup down, "Yeah...that's what the sailing life will do to you."

Iroh glanced up.

"When I first started, I missed Tenzin and Kya constantly," Bumi said.

"How did you cope?" Iroh asked.

"I remembered that they were probably missing me just as much." Bumi shrugged, "So, whenever I found the time, I wrote to them."

Iroh glanced down.

"You could write to her," Bumi suggested.

Iroh shook his head, "I can't, if everyone at home found out where I was. They'd come and take me home."

Bumi nodded faintly, "Give me the letters and I'll send them with the letters I send home."

"But what if mother sees it?" Iroh asked.

"She won't," Bumi said. "As long as Suki gets the letters, she won't know."

Iroh sighed but nodded, taking a sip from his tea cup.

"So, that Sin girl, she's cute," Bumi said suddenly.

Iroh coughed into his cup, wiping his mouth with his wrist, "Drowning in tea is not how I want to go! And way to be subtle."

Bumi threw his head back and laughed, "I knew that would get you."

Iroh growled.

"Chin up, it's no big deal," Bumi chuckled.

"It is when she's my coworker," Iroh spat. "And I've never dated before."

"That's why you need advice," Bumi said.

"If I took advice from you, I would spend the rest of my life single."

"He said to his wedded father, while sitting next to the very bed his sister was conceived in," Bumi said.

"Did not need to know that," Iroh muttered.

Bumi shrugged with a smirk, "I could tell you how you were conceived."

"No, I want to enjoy the home I grew up in thank you," Iroh said.

Bumi chuckled, "Anyways, back to the original discussion. How have you been aside from missing your sister?"

Iroh shrugged, "Everything feels weird. I'm loving it, don't get me wrong, but something just feels incomplete."

Bumi nodded, "Whenever I feel like that, it's usually when I left home right after fighting with someone. Did you and someone have an argument that didn't get resolved?"

Iroh was silent, thinking carefully over the days prior to his departure, "Not that I recall."

Bumi nodded faintly, "Still, take some time to think and see if maybe there was at least a hostile situation."

Iroh nodded, looking into his tea cup.

Bumi reached over and patted Iroh's shoulder.

Iroh looked up and smiled weakly, feeling his father's thumb brush against the side of his jawline.

"I'm excited to finally be docking to pick up our Earth Unit," Iroh said. "It'll be nice to finally be seen as a fellow soldier, rather a Prince."

Bumi nodded, pulling his hand back, "Once we have more people in this crew, then the real work begins."

"You mean it hasn't yet?" Iroh asked in a joking manner.

He knew from Bumi's stories, that you were lucky to be the first unit, because once the ship was full, only then did you feel the real pressure of the Military.

"It's a long road ahead of you, kid," Bumi smirked.

Iroh lifted his cup, "Well. Then I'm glad I have you along for the ride."

"Glad to be of service," Bumi clicked his cup against Iroh's. "Brave Soldier Boy."