Chapter 20

One month later, Iroh and the rest of his group, including Yuku all were laughing in the cafeteria, sharing a celebratory cup of tea for Iroh, who got his first rank up.

Iroh asked them not to make a big deal after the Commander announced it, but he knew that was a useless request.

Iroh held up his cup, "Come on guys, to Unity."

Yuku was the first to click his cup, "To Iroh!"

"To Iroh!" The rest shouted.

Iroh slammed his head on the table as the rest started chanting his name.

"Thanks a lot Yuku," Iroh elbowed him.

"Anything for you buddy," Yuku took a drink from his cup.

Nin punched Pelo's stomach causing him to choke on his tea when he tried bending her cup away.

"Serves you right," Kayoda laughed at him.

Hano took a drink from his tea and grunted, "Ew, mine went cold."

"That's because you haven't bothered drinking it until we all were on our third cups," Sin teased, leaning back against Iroh and facing Chi as she played with her own cup.

Cho wrapped his hand around Hano's cup, which soon began steaming, "There you go."

Hano smiled at him, "Thanks."

The group didn't notice the doors open.

"Apprentice Iroh," Lieutenant Zun said.

Sin sat up, letting Iroh stand. The privates all saluted Zun.

Iroh saluted as well.

"At ease," Zun ordered. "Apprentice Iroh, Commander Bumi requests your presence in his cabin immediately."

Iroh nodded, frowning at the urgency in his voice.

"Hey Ro," Cho called.

Iroh looked back, seeing the group saluting him.

Iroh returned the salute before turning to the doors.

He felt his heart racing as he ascended the staircase to the upper deck, something wasn't right.

Zun sounded too grave when giving the order and he said Bumi requested his presence, his father never requested him, he ordered him.

Iroh headed up the staircase to Bumi's cabin. He reached for his tile but stopped, remembering it wouldn't help.

He released a slow breath before knocking.

"Open," Bumi responded.

Iroh opened the door.

Bumi sat on the floor, leaning back against his bed and staring at the wall.

Iroh saw his expression was very stoic and he felt his stomach knot up again.

He closed the door, "Dad?"

Bumi patted the floor next to him, not looking at him.

Iroh walked over and knelt down, "What's going on?"

Bumi sighed, sitting up, "I have to tell you something, but I'm telling you as the Fire Nation Prince Consort and your Father."

Iroh straightened his back, feeling his heart beginning to race.

Bumi licked his lips before sitting up and facing Iroh.

Iroh's jaw tightened when Bumi grabbed his hand in both of his.