Chapter 13

Iroh, Cho, and Sin all stood above deck, practicing their bending.

Iroh taught the other two a group practice that he, his mother, and his grandfather used to do together.

The rest of the group watched them from a safe distance.

Iroh remembered always calling this practice "The Dragon Tail".

Iroh started the flame, bending it around his body as the blaze built up. He gestured to Cho, keeping his right arm and hand straight with his left hand straight and in line with his right elbow. His fingertips pointed at his roommate as the flame traveled towards him in a waving stream.

Cho retrieved the fire and bended it around his own body as the tail of the fire left Iroh's range.

Cho passed the tail to Sin.

She did the same as the boys, bending it around her body. Instead of passing it to Iroh, she angled her hands at the sky and the fire shot up, twirling like a long bodied dragon.

Sin glanced at Iroh, as if looking to make sure she did it right.

Iroh smiled, "That was great guys!"

Sin and Cho returned his smile.

"So why's it called The Dragon Tail?" Hano asked, sharpening one of his knives.

"It's not really called that," Iroh responded. "It's actually a Waterbending exercise my grandfather's friends always practiced with, my grandfather just learned to interpret the technique with fire and we practiced it at home. I had an obsession with dragons when I was little and just named it that."

He shrugged.

"But why Dragon Tail? Why not, Fireworks or something?" Hano asked, looking at his knife.

"Because it looks like a Dragon's tail!"

The group looked to the edge of the ship as Commander Bumi flung himself over the safety wall.

The group stared in confusion.

"What in the name of Avatar Kyoshi were you doing?" Pelo raised a brow.

"There was a sea serpent down there and I had to give him a good whoopin'," Bumi danced on his toes, taking to a boxing stance and punching the air.

"Oh spirits," Iroh groaned quietly, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"You're welcome," Bumi grinned, crossing his arms.

"How do you know it looks like a dragon tail? You didn't see it," Nin rested her chin on her fist.

"I'm from the Fire Nation," The Commander tugged his red jacket.

"I honestly thought you were Water Tribe," Hano said, pointing his knife at Bumi. "I just thought high ranks always wear red."

"Nope, well, yes but no," Commander Bumi said.

Iroh gave him a threatening look.

Bumi rolled his eyes, "My mother was Water Tribe, you have to figure out the other half, and my wife is high class Fire Nation. So, since we needed to stay for her family business, my kids were born and raised in the Fire Nation and I just decided to enlist with my beautiful new culture."

"You have kids?" Sin looked shocked. "You."

"Yes ma'am," Bumi nodded. "I have one valiant and handsome young man and one beautiful and loving little girl."

"Awww," Nin and Chi squealed.

"You have a daughter?" Chi smiled.

"Yep," The man nodded and reached into his pocket.