Chapter 14

Iroh snuck up the staircase to the Commander's cabin.

He never came without being ordered up there, but he needed to know why his grandfather sent a scroll that was so urgent he stamped it with the Royal Insignia.

It was later than he usually came, he knew his father, like most of the ship, was asleep.

He felt terrible, knowing his father must be exhausted with his worry, but Iroh just needed to know.

He rapped his knuckles against the door.

Iroh heard movement within the room.

He was about to knock again.

A light started in the room and the door opened a moment later.

Bumi looked at him in groggy confusion, but turned around and walked into the room, leaving the door open.

Iroh followed him and closed the door.

"What's wrong?" Bumi muttered, rubbing his eyes as he sat at his desk.

"Sorry," Iroh gave him a bow. "I just--"

"Is it about the scroll?" Bumi ran his fingers through his wild, bed tousled hair.

"Yeah..." Iroh nodded faintly.

"It's nothing, kid," Bumi yawned.

"If it was nothing, Grandfather wouldn't have stamped it with the Royal Insignia," Iroh countered.

Bumi rubbed his eyes.

"Where's the scroll," Iroh said. "I want to see it."

"You can't, it's for my eyes only," Bumi said sternly.

Iroh's jaw locked, "Please Dad. I need to know what's going on."

"Iroh, it's nothing to worry about," Bumi said.

"Show me the scroll," Iroh growled, starting to get frustrated.

"No," Bumi stood up. "You are not in any rank that gives you permission to give me orders."

The look in Iroh's eyes hardened. He rarely got angry with his father, but when he did, he wasn't willing to back down.

"Get back to your quarters Soldier," Bumi ordered, pointing to the door.

"Show me the scroll," Iroh said slowly.

"As your Commanding Officer," Bumi spat. "I order you to return to your quarters and forget this!"

Iroh balled his fist, dreading the next sentence that escaped his lips.

"As Prince of the Fire Nation, I order you to show me the scroll my grandfather sent!"

Bumi crossed his arms, "As husband of the next in line for the throne, and your father, I say no and get your ass to bed."

Iroh ground his teeth.

"Now," Bumi growled.

"You're unbelievable," Iroh spat. "You think you have any authority over me? You were never there!"

"Iroh--"

"You're exactly like Aang, except instead of favoring you don't want to deal with either!" Iroh shouted.

Bumi fell silent. He turned to his desk.

Iroh walked out of the room, slamming the door.

Bumi sat in his chair, rubbing his face. He was wide awake now.