Chapter 12

Iroh looked up at the starry sky. It had been a week since they left the Northern Water Tribe and they had yet to exit the Arctic Circle.

Iroh leaned forward against the railing. He cupped his hands around his mouth and breathed a weak stream of fire into his palms.

He glanced over his shoulder when he heard the door to the lower deck open then close.

Kayoda walked out in her parka, pj pants, and slippers.

"Hey Sparky," She said, walking to him when she saw him. "You're up late."

Iroh shook his head, "Not really, I'm always awake this late."

"Sounds awful," Kayoda said, leaning against the rail.

"You get used to it," Iroh shrugged. "I've been staying up late since I was ten."

Kayoda nodded faintly.

Iroh sighed, watching a cloud pass over the moon.

"Are you okay?" Kayoda looked at him.

"Yeah," Iroh nodded faintly. "Just kind of homesick."

Kayoda nodded faintly, "Yeah. I know how that feels."

Iroh glanced at her, "Really? You seemed to hate being back in the Northern Water Tribe."

"I did, but I also missed it," Kayoda said, looking into the water.

Iroh looked at her as she hung her head.

"Despite how many women have proved themselves, the place just won't change."

Kayoda glared at the water.

"That's why you were in the Earth Kingdom," Iroh stated more than asked. "They refused permission for women to join the United Forces."

"And I wanted to do more than fixing a broken leg," Kayoda muttered.

"Well, sorry you had to do that then," Iroh teased, referring to when he broke his heel while sparring with Nin.

"You know what I meant," She punched his shoulder.

He chuckled.

"My parents didn't approve of me joining the United Forces, so, I caught an Earth Kingdom vessel and enlisted at the Republic City recruitment center. Haven't spoken to Mom or Dad since."

Iroh glanced at her.

"I was relieved when Commander Bumi actually let me on. I was terrified he'd tell me I had to do it at the North Pole," Kayoda said.

Iroh nodded, "The Commander's a pretty flexible guy."

"He's insane though," Kayoda snickered. "But in a good way."

Iroh smiled, nodding faintly.

"So what about you?" Kayoda looked at him.

Iroh shrugged, "I wouldn't call myself insane."

"No, idiot," She shook her head. "What's got you feeling homesick?"

Iroh looked down silently, his mind wandering to his family in the Fire Nation.

"I'm missing my family," Iroh lowered his head. "I left behind my grandparents, my mother, and my little sister."

Kayoda glanced at him, "And?"

"And what?" Iroh glanced at her.

"There's more," She said. "You can tell me."

Iroh was silent, playing with a small flame he lit with his fingers.