Chapter 23

Iroh stood at the bow of the ship, staring into the water.

He had just come from Bumi's cabin to say good night to Suki.

He decided to stay above deck a little longer, feeling like he couldn't breathe due to anticipation.

They had begun their voyage to the Fire Nation one week ago, Bumi said they had about three days left and Iroh was itching to beat whoever did this to his family.

He touched the tile in his pocket and sighed. He still felt nothing when he touched it.

He wished he felt something, he really needed his grandfather right now.

Iroh lowered his head, "I hope you're okay Grandfather. I wish you were here."

He closed his eyes tight.

"Hey Fireworks."

"Hey Nin," Iroh said, not having to look at the Earthbender after hearing the nickname.

"What's going on?" She asked, walking to the wall.

"Just anxious," Iroh shrugged weakly.

Nin nodded faintly, "It's kinda exciting though."

"What do you mean by that?" He glanced at her.

"We're recruits," Nin said. "Most recruits barely get to help sail, but we're helping rescue the Fire Nation Royal Family. Isn't that incredible?"

Iroh nodded faintly.

"Sorry..." Nin said. "I realize now, it probably isn't as exciting for someone who's saving their own King."

"No, it's fine. It is exciting, I agree, it's just nerve wracking too," Iroh said. "Especially because we barely know what we're up against."

"No matter what it is, we have to try," Nin said. "As my Dad always said, 'Never give up without a fight.'."

Iroh lifted his chin, looking at her in surprise, "That's what my grandfather used to say. Along with spouting out 'honor' every third word."

Nin snickered.

Iroh grinned.

"Didn't help that my tiny village was full of soldier wannabes that thought they could control the place. So you had to fight a lot," Nin shrugged.

Iroh furrowed his brows, "I thought you were from Ba Sing Se?"

"Well," Nin rubbed her neck. "It was where I enlisted..."

"But you're not from Ba Sing Se?" Iroh asked.

Nin lowered her eyes.

"Hey," Iroh elbowed her shoulder gently.

Nin glanced at him hesitantly.

"I'm not judging," Iroh said gently. "It doesn't matter to me where you're from or your placement in society."

Nin smiled weakly, "Thanks Iroh."

Iroh smiled at her.

"Sorry I lied then," She said nervously. "You all are from high classes or big cities, I thought you guys wouldn't want me in the group if you all found out I'm a little hogfarm girl from the Plains Village."

"Nin, our group isn't about social class," Iroh said, turning to face her. "It's about being United: despite ethnicity, bending and nonbending abilities, personality, gender, orientation, everything. We're here for each other no matter what, not only if you're high class."

Nin smiled up at him, since she was only as tall as his shoulders.

"For the record, I think it's cool you joined the Forces when you could've stayed on your farm," Iroh said.