Chapter 16

Iroh carefully stood up, his legs shaking.

He touched the tile in his pocket as if it would give him strength.

Even after an entire week, his body was still tense and his muscles still sore.

He glanced at Yuku, who still had yet to wake.

He sighed and carefully took a step. He cursed as his legs gave out and he collapsed, landing on the floor hard.

He glanced up at the door when it opened.

He felt a lump form in his throat as Commander Bumi looked down at him.

Bumi crouched down and helped him to his feet.

Iroh leaned against his father.

Bumi helped him lay back on the mat.

"I'm sorry Dad..." Iroh said.

Bumi looked at him in surprise, glancing at Yuku.

"He's been out since it happened," Iroh waved his arm weakly.

"What are you sorry about?" Bumi asked, sitting next to him.

Iroh sighed and shifted closer to Bumi, resting his head on his knee, "I'm sorry for what I said...you were always there when it counted, and I know you'd always be there for me."

"I'm sorry I wasn't there more," Bumi sighed. "I swear I always wanted to."

Iroh closed his eyes, "I know Dad. It's okay, I never should've said that."

Bumi looked at him, "It's okay. I'm just glad you're alive right now."

Iroh pulled himself closer to Bumi and hugged him around the waist, "I'm sorry that I scared you."

Bumi shook his head, "Don't be. You're a hero."

"No I'm not, I was just doing what anyone else would," Iroh shrugged.

"Did you see anyone else jump into a storm tossed ocean to save some bully's butt?" Bumi laughed.

Iroh shrugged.

Bumi hugged him, "I'm proud of you."

"Thanks Dad," Iroh closed his eyes.

"The whole ship agreed that you should get rewarded," Bumi said.

"That's not necessary," Iroh muttered.

"Everyone else thinks otherwise," Bumi chuckled.

Iroh shrugged.

Bumi patted Iroh's shoulder, "Spirits, I dread when your mother finds out about this."

"I'll tell her," Iroh said. "You don't have to."

Bumi shrugged, "I don't mind bragging about my boy."

Iroh smiled faintly.

"When you were a baby whenever you cried, I'd show you off and say, 'listen to those lungs!'," Bumi shouted the ending and Iroh chuckled.

"Then, whenever your Mama sent pictures," Bumi hugged him. "I'd brag about my handsome Firebender."

Iroh smiled faintly. His smile fell a little, "Does it bother you that I'm a bender."

"Not at all, honestly, I was hoping you would be," Bumi admitted. "And I'm perfectly fine with Suki being a non-bender and if she was a bender, I'd be just as proud of her as I am now."

Iroh smiled, nodding.

Lieutenant Zun opened the door, "Commander, we have an unauthorized bending fight above deck."

Bumi sighed, carefully moving Iroh away and standing up, "Here we go."

Iroh watched him until the door closed.

"So, Commander Nut job's your Dad."

Iroh glanced over at Yuku, who was partially sitting up right.

"What are you talking about?" Iroh raised a brow, ignoring his panicked pulse.

"I heard you talking," Yuku muttered. "And for your information, I haven't 'been out since it happened' I just pretend to sleep so I don't have to talk to you."

Iroh grunted and rolled his eyes, "You know what, yes. Commander Bumi is my father and I will proudly say it."

Yuku looked at the blanket over his legs.

"Thank you..." He mumbled under his breath.

"What?" Iroh looked at him.

"I said..." Yuku sighed. "Thank you. You saved my life."

"Oh...no problem," Iroh said.

"No problem?" Yuku muttered. "You jumped into the ocean to save me. You could've just gone to safety below deck, but you saved your enemy."

Iroh forced himself into a sitting position and turned towards him, wincing at his aching muscles.

"You're not my enemy Yuku," Iroh said. "Whether we like it or not, we're part of the same crew, we may fight, but if we ever had to go into battle, I wouldn't let you die."

Yuku was silent, looking down.

"We may not be friends, but I'm not going to do nothing when you need help."

"No wonder you're such a Golden Child," Yuku muttered.

Iroh rolled his eyes, "I see this is going nowhere."

He laid down and rolled onto his side, away from Yuku.

"I'm sorry," Yuku said after a moment.

Iroh raised a brow but didn't respond.

"I'm not used to people being nice to me, okay?" Yuku muttered. "I've never really had friends, Spirits, my own roommate hasn't even come to see me, yet you have your entire White Lotus group fighting to get in, plus your Dad."

Iroh fell silent, his eyes drifting down. He never really thought about Yuku's side, he never even really took into consideration that Yuku was always alone.

"I'm sorry for being a jerk," Yuku said. "You had no reason to save me, but you did."

Iroh rolled towards Yuku, seeing him sitting silently with his back pressed against the wall.

"You're still a human being Yuku," Iroh sat back up. "There's someone back home, waiting for your safe return just like me."

Yuku didn't respond.

"My grandfather became best friends with someone he once hated," Iroh said, his voice turning light and hopeful much like his Grandpa Aang's voice had been in a similar conversation years ago. "Do you think we could be friends?"

Yuku was silent, but shrugged weakly.

Iroh was silent. He glanced at the tin cups the two young soldiers were given for water.

"Yuku," Iroh said.

Yuku glanced at him.

Iroh held a cup out to him.

Yuku frowned and took the cup.

"To Friendship?" Iroh raised the cup, and winced, grabbing his shoulder.

Yuku nodded faintly, "Yeah, to friendship."

They clicked their cups together.

"You should take whatever award they give you," Yuku said. "You deserve it."

Iroh smiled faintly, "Thanks Yuku. That means a lot."

Yuku smiled faintly.

Iroh couldn't recall ever seeing Yuku with such a genuine smile.