twenty-eight

\ wherein she finds her sister /

"WHY PRETEND TO be dying for years?" I asked, shaking my head. Sirius- my dad- pursed his lips. I'd been asking so many questions and getting such vague answers, like how he came back 'with magic'. After bombarding him with questions and receiving no answers, Harry explained the situation with Karkaroff and Moody, and we were just about to make the hike back to the castle. 

"I couldn't do it, Pheobe, I'm so sorry," he said, "your mum's dying wish-"

"Yeah, she's not dead," I interrupted. "But go on anyway." My dad blinked at me. 

"What?"

"Forget it. Her dying wish was to keep me away from magic, and you wanted to honor it and respect it because, fuck, you really loved her," I continued, waving my hand. "Point is, you abandoned me. I had to live with Sophia and her parents for years, dad. You left me, and then you come here the second I'm gone?" He looked at me, hurt flashing across his face, but what I said was completely true. 

I'd always imagined that Sirius Black would be the coolest dad of all time. But it turned out, he was a better godfather than he ever would be a real father. 

"I'm sorry, Pheebster." he said, truly looking it. 

"Yeah, dad," I sighed, grabbing my sweater that I had taken off while Harry talked to my dad about Karkaroff. "Me too."

"What was that about?" Ron asked as we made our way back to the castle. "You were so happy he was there... that he was your Sirius..."

"I know, and I was," I said, nearly tumbling down the rocks. "But I told you guys...he left me. He pretended to be sick."

"That's fair," said Harry, and I was glad when Hermione changed the topic, because hell, it hurt. 

My dad wasn't in my life for so long, and then suddenly he comes back in time and is the best father figure to Harry. 

"You didn't do anything wrong," Harry said in a low voice to me, the two of us walking a bit slower than Hermione and Ron. "I know it fucking sucks, Pheobe."

"Yeah," I sighed, before shrugging as Harry laced our fingers together. "It's okay, I don't really care." Harry laughed. 

"Hey, if you ever need someone to talk to, you've got two girlfriends and two boyfriends." and despite everything, I laughed with him. 

"Hermione, Fleur, Malfoy, you...huh, I must be really hot if Rita Skeeter thinks I've caught the hearts of four different people."

"Well, you've caught one of them," Harry said casually, before freezing in his tracks as I grinned. 

"I have, haven't I?"

.✫*゚・゚。.★.*。・゚✫*.

"Hermione," I whispered just as the four of us reached the common room door. 

"What?" she muttered back as the portrait door to the common room swung open. 

"I want to go over something with you, I'm not a hundred percent sure so I don't want to bring it up with the boys yet.. will you come with me to the library?"