thirty-seven

\ wherein he tries to win her back /

We all split up and headed to our bedrooms, although by the tone Fred used to say goodnight to Ron, it sounded like they were just going to go and meet up again. Instead of going straight to bed, however, I slipped upstairs to the Black home library I had discovered when we first arrived. 

Apparently being Pureblood and rich meant you had to have either signed copies or the first edition of almost every book.

"I'd recommend, er, this one," said a voice behind me while I was looking through the shelves as I spun around to see Harry holding out a book to me. 

"Romeo and Juliet," I read out, looking at him with a raised eyebrow. "You haven't read that."

"Of course I have! It's the best romantic novel of all time, and ends with everyone living happily ever after!" I rolled my eyes, and spun back to the shelf of books I had been studying. 

"They both die in the end." 

"Fuck, really?" Harry muttered under his breath. "...is it too late to say I was testing you?"

"mm..." I said, finding 'Othello' and taking a copy of 'Pride and Prejudice' for Hermione gingerly as I pushed past him. "Fuck off." I said irritably as he followed me to my room. "You said you weren't going to wait forever. So don't." I went into my bedroom and shut the door tightly. I highly considered locking it before getting onto my bed. 

"Did you get Pride and-"

"Hardcover, first edition," I grinned, handing it to Hermione. She beamed and took it carefully, setting it on her bed. She said something about taking a shower before bed and disappeared into the bathroom we shared. I stood up nd went over to the wardrobe, picking out my favorite sweatshirt and pulling my shirt off-

"I'm not giving up, you know," said Harry's voice as I heard the door swing open. My eyes widened and I tried to pull on the sweatshirt quickly, but the sleeves were inside out.

"Can you fucking knock?" I said loudly, turning so my back faced the door and desperately trying to fix the sleeves, but somehow it was even more difficult than usual. 

"What are you-" Harry stopped abruptly as I winced, struggling to make the sleeves back to normal and internally swearing that I would never leave them inside out again. "I'm- I'm sorry, I shouldn't have come in without knocking-"

"You're right," I said, "so get- fuck, what is wrong with-" I suddenly realized that the sweatshirt I was trying to fix was actually pajama pants. And my shirt had been tossed into the wardrobe, which I couldn't turn to reach without facing Harry, who I didn't feel like talking to. Who still hadn't left. "Why're you still here?" I said, glaring up at the ceiling. 

"Because I want to talk to you, and I know the second I leave this room you'll lock me out and then ignore me for the rest of summer."

"You're correct. Get out." For a second, I considered just using my wand to Accio a shirt, but then realized I also didn't want to talk to go to the Ministry for a Hearing about Accio'ing my shirt. 

It would be extremely difficult to explain, I could already imagine it. 

"So, Miss Black, why did you use magic out of school when you know underage witches and wizards are forbidden from doing so?"