thirty-three

\ wherein the year ends /

FOR A LONG TIME, I didn't know where I was. 

It was as if I was in the space in between life and death, just a big, blank space. 

Time was stranger there, and my memory of it was very hazy, but the one thing I remember perfectly of my time there was a red-haired woman with green eyes and a man who looked eerily similar to Harry running towards me.

I can't remember exactly what they said, but I remember her hugging me and thanking me. I didn't understand, not really, but they said it was too early for me and led me to a door. 

They thanked me again and told me I should go through the door and be with my friends, so I obliged and did so, and the next thing I heard was the voices of all my friends begging me to wake up. 

why did that happen so often?

"Pheobe, wake up, please," said a voice. 

"Her heart rate's speeding up! Someone go get Pomfrey!" shouted a different one. 

"Pheobe, hang on!" cried another voice. 

"Madam Pomfrey!"

"I'm here, I'm here!" said Pomfrey's voice. I heard her mutter things for a bit and there was pure silence for a few minutes. 

"Is she...is she still here?"

"I don't know, is she?" I said groggily, opening my eyes and seeing several blurry figures before me. 

"Pheobe!" they gasped. 

"Hi," I said, rubbing the area on my forehead which I remembered hitting somewhere, which was now bandaged up. "Where're my glasses?"

"You blind arse, you scared us half to death!" said Ron's voice as he slipped my glasses onto my face and everyone was suddenly clear. 

Ron, Hermione, Fred, George, Dean, Seamus, Lavender, and Parvati were all there, standing around my bed.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to," I said hollowly as some of them let out relieved sighs. "What's going on? What happened? Where are we? Is Voldemort-" I started to sit up with so many questions buzzing in my head but Madam Pomfrey immediately laid me back down firmly. 

"You'll kill yourself before you have a chance to recover," she tutted. "But, Black, for the record, I'm glad you aren't dead." she gave me a small smile before tsking at all my friends and walking to her office. 

"She called me Black!" I exclaimed suddenly. 

"Yeah, stupid Barty told everyone."

"Wha-" I stared at everyone except Ron, and Hermione, who had known that Sirius was my dad for a long time. "You guys- you know? You aren't- it's fine?"

"Are you serious?!" said Fred, scoffing. "You really thing we'd all ditch you because of who your dad is?!"

"Exactly! Mate, who says you're your dad? Well, I mean, those two panicked for a good ten minutes, but it wasn't 'cause they were scared of you, they were scared for you, that your dad'd come and try to find you," said Dean, beckoning to Lavender and Parvati who grinned at me.