thirty-six

\ wherein the order discusses /

Ron's POV

"SOMETHING'S WRONG," I SAID with a frown, looking at Hermione. "It's gone quiet."

"Maybe she got him to stop yelling," said Hermione hopefully, "maybe she's calmed him down?"

"No," I said abruptly, shaking my head, "it's a bad silence."

"A bad silence? What's a good silen-"

"Come on!" I exclaimed, running towards Pheobe's room, the door slammed shut and Harry leaning against it miserably on the floor, his knees pulled to his chest.

"Harry," Hermione started softly, "what- what's going on? Where's Pheobe?"

"I fucked up," he said shortly, swallowing. 

"What did you say?"

"You'll never talk to me again. I probably deserve it, after everything I said-"

"Stop," I said instantly, "we're not mad at you about what you said to us."

"Right," Hermione nodded, "we'd do the same if it was the other way around, don't worry."

"But," I added, "if you hurt Pheobe, I can't say the same for me and Hermione, nor the twins."

"...I, I was mad at her, and then I..." he took a shaky breath, "I told her I wouldn't wait for her forever." Hermione and I fell quiet as Harry shoved his head into his hands. "She'll never talk to me again, will she?"

"No, I don't think so," said Hermione, cold all of a sudden. "Harry, love is fragile. If you really loved her, you wouldn't tell her that and instantly act like none of it mattered."

"There's more," Harry said, his voice cracking, "I said- I said I might find another girl." I inhaled sharply. "I know what you're thinking! It's just- I got caught up in the moment, I wasn't thinking!" Hermione didn't say anything and pushed past Harry, gently rapping on Pheobe's door. 

"Pheobe?" she said gently. 

"Go away," said a shaking voice. "I don't want to talk." I felt my heart break at how sad she sounded and suddenly wanted to throttle Harry for being the one who did this to her, who made her this broken. 

"Pheobe, please, it's me!" said Hermione patiently.

"Is Harry gone yet?" Hermione hesitated, glancing from me to Harry. "Don't lie, Hermione."

"He's- he's not." suddenly the door slammed open to reveal Pheobe, and she glared down at Harry who scrambled to his feet and shone a hopeful smile at her.

"Don't be so pathetic." she snapped. "Get lost. Go and, what was it? find another girl." she grabbed Hermione's hand and pulled her inside before the door slammed shut and Harry groaned.

"Mate," I began cautiously, "er...Mum's letting us choose a room to share since the one upstairs is kind of haunted- do you wanna pick-?"

"This one," Harry sighed, pointing to the room directly beside Pheobe's and Hermione's. I hesitated.

"Er...are you sure? I don't...that might not be a good idea-"