forty-four

\ wherein they propose an idea /

"PHEOBE! HEY!" CALLED a voice.

"Nott," I greeted shortly, turning around.

"Nott?" he frowned, an eyebrow raised.

"Yeah," I bit the inside of my cheek, "we called off the fake dating thing, right?" He shrugged.

"We had to, didn't we? You literally snogged Potter and the whole school found out in less than twelve hours."

"Right," I nodded, "so we can go the hell back to not talking to each other."

"You wound me, darling," he mocked. "Come on, can't we be friends?"

"Er, hello? You snapped my glasses in half?"

"Yeah...and?"

"Goodbye." I said shortly, turning around and walking off.

"I mean, we can do our homework tonight," said Ron as he, Harry, and I made our way down towards the Quidditch pitch. "And we've got tomorrow, she just gets really worked up about it," he muttered as Hermione's warnings about failing our O.W.L.s rang in our ears, "that's just her problem."

"Yeah...still, this is important, too, we've got to practice if we want to stay on the Quidditch team ..." said Harry.

"Yeah, that's right," said Ron, in a heartened tone. "And we have got plenty of time to do it all ..."

"Right, I'll go sit in the stands or something," I said finally, waving a book in my hand as we reached the Quidditch pitch, "er, good luck in your...practicing?"

"Pheobe,  do you even like Quidditch?" asked Ron with a raised eyebrow.

...no, but I like Harry.

"Er- just here to support you both at your first practice of the year, is that a crime?" I shot a smile at both of them before heading over to the stands.

"Hey- Pheobe, over here!" called a voice. I glanced over and saw many Slytherins gathered around halfway up the empty stands and felt a sinking feeling in my stomach when my eyes went to my cousin and Theo laughing merrily about something.

"...er, what's going on over here?" I asked hesitantly, walking over to the two of them."

"We're all here to watch the Gryffindor's today," Draco said nonchalantly.

"Yeah, okay," I said suspiciously, making my way back over to my seat, where Blaise was now sitting, frowning as he read my book.

"Hey, you're aware they aren't here just to watch, right?" Blaise said, not looking up as I sat beside him.

"Yeah, but the fuck can I do?" I sighed. "Why're you not stopping them?"

"Because this book is much more fascinating than reality." I almost laughed, flashbacks to me constantly reading the Harry Potter books flashing through my mind.

"Okay, Zabini, but why're you here if you're only going to read?"

"Because it's going to start raining soon and I think it'll be pretty interesting to see a bunch of Quidditch players, like, a thousand feet up on slippery little broomsticks trying to navigate their way through the storm." he grinned. I scoffed and looked over at the pitch, where the team was flying up into the air and practicing.