Ch 7 Section 5

One day after Halloween...

As Sam silently packed his clothes into his duffel, a deep voice in the room startled him, "Tomorrow." He whirled around to see Uriel sitting on the chair beside the bed, "November 2nd, it's an anniversary for you."

Sam glared, "What are you doing here?"

"It's the day Azazel killed your mother, and 22 years later your girlfriend too. It must be difficult to bear, yet you so brazenly use the power he gave you. His profane blood pumping through your veins."

"Excuse me?"

"You were told not to use your abilities."

"And what was I supposed to do?" Sam scoffed, "That demon would have killed all three os us and everyone else."

"You were told not to."

"If Samhain had gotten loose in this town-"

"You've been warned, twice now."

"You know?" Sam glared hatefully, "Angel and Dean were right about you... you are dicks."

Uriel regarded Sam with dark eyes and in the blink of an eye was towering over him, "The only reason you're still alive, Sam Winchester, is because you've been useful. But the moment that ceases to be true, the second you become more trouble than you're worth, one word. One, and I will turn you to dust." Uriel glared at him for a beat before backing off, "As for your sister, tell her that maybe she should climb off that high horse of hers." Uriel smiled, "Ask Angel what she remembers from hell."

With another flutter of wings Uriel was gone, leaving Sam alone in the motel room, shocked, as he thought about what was just said.

At a local park...

Asa and Angel sat beside one another on a park bench as they watched children play. After his own hunt he headed to town to catch up with the Winchesters, but was a day late for all the action.

"So another seal's been broken then?"

"It has." Stressed lined Angel's face as she looked over to him, "I'm worried about Sammy, Asa. Like my whole being is screaming that what he's doing is wrong. IHe's gonna get himself killed, or... worse."

Asa squeezed her hand reassuringly, "Sams a smart kid-"

"Obviously not that smart if he keeps using this crap." She scoffed, "You think he'd listen to me!" She shook her head, "I basically raised those two, taught them right alongside our dad. You'd think he'd listen when i say my alarm bells are going off."

"As long as you and Dean keep looking out for him, he'll figure out that what he's doing is wrong. I mean he's young so he thinks he knows better than you guys. It might take a little time but he'll figure it out." He shrugged, "Sooner or later."

"I dont know..." She still looked pained, "I just hope it's sooner rather than later..."

A fluttering sound was heard earning Angels attention. She turned to see Castiel standing behind them. Asa also turned when he saw her attention was pulled and jumped slightly.

"Well..." He forced a laugh as he studied the angel, "You guys really love sneakin up on people dont you?"

Castiel's face was stoney as he looked over the hunter, "I suppose we do."

Silence stretched as Castiel stared at Angel. His features softened and she shifted her attention to Asa.

"Ace... can you give us a sec? I'll meet you at the car."

"Yeah, sure."

He lightly pecked her cheek before sending a wary look to the angel beside her and left. The blonde sighed as Castiel took his place beside her.

"I suppose you're here for the 'I told you so's'."

"No."

Angel raised brow, not buying it, "Really?"

"I am not here to judge you, Angel."

"Then why are you here?"

"Our orders-"

"Castiel, no offense, but i dont give a rats ass about your orders right now."

He pressed on with a tight face, "Our orders were not to stop the summoning of Samhain. They were to do whatever you told us to do."

Confusion filled her, "Your orders were to follow my orders?"

"You or Dean. Whichever one of you took the lead." Castiel explained, "It was a test, to see how you would perform under... battlefield conditions, you might say."

"Okay... but we were hunting a witch not in the trenches with militia." Castiel chuckled slightly as Angel leaned her elbows onto her knees, "I'm assuming i failed then, right? I mean obviously..." She thought for a second before shrugging it off, "To tell you the truth Cas, seal or no seal, i'd do it all over the same. And I can say with all conviction that Dean would too. You know why?" She met his gaze, "We may not know what's going to happen when these seals get broken, or tomorrow for that matter, or even the next day, but what the three of us do know is that this..." She motioned to the kids puttering around on the playground, "These kids, the swings, the trees, all of it is still here because of the three of us."

Castiel took a minute to take in her words as he watched her closely, "You misunderstand me, Angel. I'm not like you think. I was praying that you would choose to save the town." She looked back over to him curiously, "These people... they're all my father's creations. They're works of art, and yet, even though you stopped Samhain, the seal was broken and we are one step closer to Hell on Earth, for all creation. Now that's not an expression, Angel, it's literal. You of all people should appreciate what that means." Angel's expression turned pained, saddened by his words, "Can I tell you something if you promise not to tell another soul?"

She offered a small smile that didn't reach her eyes, "Lay it on me, Trench Coat."

"I'm not uh... a hammer as your brother says. I have questions. I... I have doubts. I don't know what is right and what is wrong anymore... whether you passed or failed here. But in the coming months you will have more decisions to make. You and Dean both. I don't envy the weight that's on your shoulders, Angel. I truly don't."

They shared a look, a heavy energy seemingly sitting on the both of their heads. Angel looked out to the kids once more but when she looked back, Castiel was gone.