Chapter 1

☼︎ℒ𝓎𝓁𝒶'𝓈 𝒫.𝒪.𝒱☼︎

"Stop her from getting in!" a firefighter yelled as I tried to run to my house while my parents and brother were sleeping.

"Let me go. I have to save them," I screamed as I fought against the adult's arms that held me close. I screamed, my tiny voice filling the street.

I was going to lose them, I told myself. I needed to break free. My brother. Not, my baby brother.

"Lyla calm down, it is just a nightmare," a familiar voice called out from somewhere but I couldn't pull away from the vision of a burning house.

"Lyla!" the voice called out once more. I gasped for air as I opened my eyes and sat up in my bed. I breathed heavily, my body drenched in sweat.

When I was a little bit calm, I looked over at my cousin, Emma looking up at me from the side of my bed. Her brown eyes filled with worry.

I look down and pulled my knees to my chest. "It felt real, Emma," I told her, my voice muffled by my knees. She moved to the bed, hugging me close to her.

"It's over now that is what matters," she said. "Why don't you rest and I'll get you something to drink," she offered and I nodded in answer.

After the death of my family, I had lived with my aunt Jules and Emma. It was pretty nice until my aunt died, leaving both Emma and I alone.

I had blamed her death on myself for months. It was like everyone around me was destined to die.

Fortunately for me, Emma got a job that required her services twenty-four seven which meant she wouldn't be close to me. At least until she got her two days leave.

"Here you go," she says, giving me a cup of chilled water and a sleeping pill. I give her a thankful smile and throw it into my mouth before drinking the water.

" Look, I know how you feel and I want you to relax your mind for your job," she says. I set the cup aside and give her face.

"Emma, if I get a job in your workplace, you could be in danger. Besides being a maid isn't something I look forward to," I say honestly.

She rolls her eyes at me. "Well being a maid pays the bills," she says.

" That's the only reason I'm doing this in the first place,"I mutter but she hears me. " Just get some sleep. I need you to have your strength so you can swallow your words," she says, pushing me into my bed.

I laugh, already feeling better. I lay my head on my pillow as I feel the effects of the pill kick in. It isn't long before I'm asleep.

---------------
"Welcome to the Machiavelli estate", Emma said as we got down from the black car that had brought us here.

"Why did that man tell us to wear blindfolds?" I asked in suspicion. She visibly stiffens and is quiet from a few seconds.

"I-it's just protocol. Mr. Giovanni is a very private man," she said and I raised a brow.

Now why was it that I did not believe her. Maybe because private people did not blindfold others for a visit.

I want to ask more questions but I'm interrupted by a deep voice. "State your business", a man behind the gate said.

"Emma Nestle. I'm here for work", she replies and looks at me. I get the hint and state my business.

The gates automatically opened and my mouth dropped to the ground when my eyes met a huge estate. I was yet to see the main house.

"This is where you work?" I asked in surprise. She nodded in answer, a smug smile on her lips.

"Everything here is owned by my boss," she said. As she explained everything to me, a black car similar to the one that had dropped us off stopped in front of us.

"Get in," she said. I hesitantly got in still not believing her protocol story.

When we are settled in, the man looks at the both of us from the rearview mirror.

"Hello babe," he says to Emma. She rolls her eyes but smiles eitherway.
"You wish", she said. He grinned and his eyes moved to mine.

"Who's your friend?" he asks Emma. "Lyla meet Jacob. She's my cousin", she tells Jacob.

I smile in greeting. "Nice to meet you, Lyla. Do you think you can cope working for a Don?" he asks me. I opened my mouth to answer his question when I paused.

I looked at Emma with a swift movement of my neck, I'm surprised it didn't dislocate.

"What did he just say? What do you mean Don?" I rambled, my heart beating faster than normal.

" Lyla, calm down, I can explain everything," she hurriedly said. "I just clean the house and that's all. Mr. Giovanni doesn't even know I exist", she explains.

"Is she saying the truth," I asked Jacob who has been quiet since my panic.

"You're asking a total stranger whether I'm lying to you or not?" she asked in hurt.

"I'd rather not say", he said, immediately withdrawing himself from our conversation.

"You brought me here knowing all of this," I pointed out in disbelief. She looked away. Jacob informed us of our arrival and I wasted no time to get out. Not because I was eager for the job but because I couldn't look at her right now.

I stood with my hands folded, waiting for her to lead the way into my death. I stared at the large mahogany door, my mouth pressed in a thin line. I feel her presence beside me.

"Look. I'm sorry for not telling you what I could be getting you into. I just didn't want you to worry" she apologised.

I watched her come into view as she knocked on the door. "Let's just get this stupid interview over with. I will understand if you don't get the job," she said as I followed her in.

  ♡︎ ♡︎ ♡︎ ♡︎ ♡︎ ♡︎ ♡︎
Chapter 1 is done guys!!!
Hope you enjoyed it. I know it's boring but it is about to change soon.
    Tell me what you think about the Chapter and stay tuned. Wouldn't want to miss the arrival of Giovanni Machiavelli.
      -- Gigi.
𝗣𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝘃𝗼𝘁𝗲, 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗲