Chapter 23

Above is a picture of cheerful Debra. I know the model isn't smiling but who cares.
P.S It is okay to imagine whoever you want
Back to story😁
————————————————

~ Lyla's P.O.V ~
"Now you can look," Emma says and helps twirl my chair so I can see my face in the mirror. A surprise gasp escapes my lips as I stare at a whole new Lyla.

She'd made me look hot with the smoky eyeshadow and lip gloss. My hair was straightened, curled at the tip so it flowed down my shoulders.

It had been brushed back away from my face using a ruby accessory in the shape of a rose. I looked beautiful I wanted to cry.

I wonder what my mum would say if she saw me.

I look at her and her eyes widen as the tears threaten to fall down my cheeks. "Don't you dare Lyla Penelope Nestle," she says pointing her finger at me.

"Thank you so much, Emma. You're are the best," I say and close my eyes to push the tears back. She wraps her arms around me, careful not to touch my face.

We pull away at the sound of a slight knock on the open door of the walk-in-closet I now shared with Giovanni.

I look to see Giovanni watching us, leaning against the door and his hands in his pockets. Emma immediately grabs her stuff.

"See you at the ball. Excuse me," she tells Giovanni who nods in answer.

"So what do you think?" I ask him, showing him my made up face.

He smirks. "You could have circles under your eyes and I'd think you'd still look beautiful," he says and kisses me tenderly on the lips.

"You always have the words to say," I whisper to him, touching a curl that had escaped the gel he'd used to push back his hair.

"I have a surprise for you," he says and starts pulling me into the room.

"It better be some clothes because I can't wear a robe," I say, motioning towards the white fuzzy robe I had on.

We stop in front of a box, right on the bed and I know it is my gown. I look at him then the box.

I reach for it and pull it towards me. I slowly open it and almost start to cry from seeing the beauty of a dress. I hadn't brought it out but I knew it was pretty.

I remind myself that Emma wouldn't be happy if she saw me with running mascara and ignore my emotions that seemed to be everywhere.

I pull out the red satin dress, and lift it in the air to admire it. "This.... this is amazing Giovanni," I tell him when I place it back down.

He smiles at me. "I knew you'd like it," he says and I hug him. I'm not surprised when he stiffens still not used to my surprise hugs.

"Go on and change. The ball starts in an hour and I know how long you women take to put on a dress," he jokes and I playfully glare at him as I take the dress.

"It's just so you can admire us," I tell him.

"Well you better get dressed quickly or I'll admire you without a dress on," he says, his voice a little bit deeper.

My cheeks turn red and I make sure to lock the door as I prepare for the ball.
---------------------------
When we arrive at the glasshouse, my mouth drops in utter shock as I stared at the large building made from glass. Entirely. How it worked out, I don't know.

From the concrete pathway, I can see the guests talking lightly, their outfits screaming money and wealth.

I felt nervous because I'd never been around such a crowd wearing a dress that made me stand out.