Chapter 26

~ Lyla's P.O.V~
I watched with suspicion and confusion as Gianna pulled me into the glasshouse and far away from Giovanni.

Something was clearly bothering him and he didn't want to tell me. I wasn't mad at him but I was worried for him. The stress wasn't healthy for him.

My eyes reluctantly leaves his back and I pay my attention to Gianna who had been talking endlessly.

"Waiter," she says and a man walks towards us with a tray of champagne flutes. Gianna offers me a drink but I shake my head.

"Hello ladies," a familiar voice says and we both turn around to see Elijah looking nice in a royal blue suit and pants. His hair is messy but in a stylish way.

His lips are perked in a smile and he is directing it to Gianna.

"A friend told me you're interested in having a dance," he tells her and takes her hand.

She blushed and before I can get a word in, they both disappear leaving me alone in the middle of nowhere. Now I wished I'd not left Giovanni's side.

Emma. I think to myself. I turn to look for her but I'm stopped by a huge body. I gasp in shock and stagger back.

Cold grey eyes stare at me and I become alert. "Sorry miss. I didn't mean to startle you," the huge man told me and I couldn't miss the Russian accent in his voice.

I look around for help. My attention is dragged back to the man when he takes my hand and kisses it.

I try not to pull my hand away in disgust. "It is a pleasure to finally meet Giovanni's woman," he says and I know who he is immediately.

" Nikolai Doverik," I say, trying to hide the worry in my eyes. Now I understood why Giovanni had been fidgety all night.

He smirks. "I see your boyfriend has told you my wonderful story," he says with pride and I can't help but glare at him.

He starts to look around before his eyes settle on me once more. "Where's Giovanni by the way. Oh right, trying to protect you when I'm right here. That boy never learns," he says and takes a step towards me.

I take a step back and he chuckles probably enjoying this.

Was he going to hurt me in front of these people? I asked myself in fear.

He seems to read my mind and moves away. "Calm down dear. I only came here for a nice evening. This isn't exactly the right place to take off that nice little dress off your body," he says and I shudder.

"That doesn't mean I can't have some fun with you though. I believe you have a cousin. Well a little birdie told me, she's about to eat a poisoned steak," he whispers this so no one can hear him asides me.

My eyes widen in fear as I watch him leave. I'm quite shocked to speak until Debra's voice fills my ears and I hear the worry in her voice.

"Lyla, it's Emma. She's puking her guts out and she's calling out for you," she tells me and I almost start to cry.

"Where is she?" I almost yell. She takes my hand and we start to run to wherever Emma was.

"I can't lose her, Debra. I'd die if that happened," I tell her as we run past people. I'm about to ask her where we are going when she thankfully stops.

"Where's she?" I ask in terror.

"Right there," she says and points to my left. As she said, Emma is seated at a table, laughing at something Jacob said.

I want to ask her what was going on or if this was just some sick joke but the feel of something cool touching me back silences me.

I look at her to see her glaring at me. "Don't make a noise or I'll kill Emma for real," she sneers and an accent that was never there suddenly was.

My brain is a mess as everything is happening way to fast. Emma was a good fifty feet away from me but she wasn't dying.

Debra, my friend had an accent and was pointing a gun at me, threatening to kill Emma if I raised an alarm.

What the motherf***king hell was going on?

"What's this Debbie? Why did go with what that man said and why are you pointing a gun at me?" I ramble in confusion and fear.

"It was the only way I could get you to stand here," she says, her eyes impassive and I wonder if this was Debra's look alike or it was really Debra.

"Why do you need me to stand here? What is going on?" I continue to ask and she rolls her eyes at me.

"Well you see, daddy wants to punish Giovanni for something I could careless about. I'm just following orders don't take it personal," she says and pouts but I know she's just mocking me.

"I'm Lena Doverik, Lyla. The daughter of Nikolai Doverik," she tells me and my eyes widen.

I thought Giovanni had killed her in the stable. I was beginning to have a headache from all this bombshells and it was yet to get better.

She looks down at my bare neck. "Where's the necklace I gave you, Lyla?" she asks.

Giovanni had made me stop wearing but I wasn't about to tell her that. "I lost it," I tell her.

"Well, there was a chip in the pendant and I had been able to hear your every conversation with Giovanni. That's how we knew the idiot fell for the trap," she confessed.

I felt so betrayed and worst of all, disappointed. I couldn't believe this cheerful woman I'd grown to love and cherish as a friend was just Nikolai part two.

"I heard you tell Emma about your first real kiss in Giovanni's office," she says and I gasp. I remember the creak I'd heard. I'd thought it was Maggie. I was terribly mistaken.

"I've watched you Lyla and I'll have to say, I actually grew fond
of you but Daddy comes first so..."

Her words trail off and she starts to walk away.

As she moves away, Emma's eyes meet mine. I'm still trying to gather everything Debra— Lena— had dropped on me but I'm unable to.

I get distracted by the sound glass shattering and I fill pain in my left breast.

I hear someone scream my name as I fall to the ground desperately trying to breath. My eyes were open as I stared at the dark sky.

People moved around me, I could hear voices but the ones that stood out were Giovanni's.

He is cradling me in his arms and I feel myself slipping away from him.

I start to cry not wanting to lose him. "No baby. Everything will be alright, help is on the way," he tells me but I shake my head in answer.

I cry in pain and I know I'm not going to make it. I look at him pointedly

"I c-can't..... It hurts Gio. I love y...." I try to say but dark splotches appear behind my eyes and before I can hold myself for long, I slump in his arms.
                   --- --- --- --- ---
There you have it guys. Lyla's version of the story. Who is shocked to find out Debra is actually Lena Doverik and assisted in Lyla and Baby Machiavelli's attempted murder?

Tell me what you think about this chapter.

Now that Lyla is awake, what is the next step for Giovanni?
Find out in the next chapter because there are more plot twists coming your way.

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!!!!!
    -- Gigi