Chapter 16

~ Lyla's P.O.V ~
"You're playing with fire, Gio. What do you mean you have feelings for her?" I hear someone ask in a hushed tone.

"You heard me so don't expect me to repeat myself," I hear Giovanni reply back. He wasn't harsh, instead he sounded embarrassed.

"At least think of her feelings. In three months you're going to get married. Now that you killed Nikolai's child expect war my friend," Diego tells and I hear a patting sound.

"Just because I'm getting married to Giselle doesn't mean I'm tied to her. Besides, her old man isn't really following through with his promises," I hear him say.

Tired of their conversation, I groan and move on Giovanni's bed so they know I'm awake.

I open my eyes to see the two men standing by the door. They were both looking at me, their expressions unreadable.

" Vai a fare quello che ti ho chiesto. Ottieni più uomini e assicurati che nessuno lo scopra", he says in Italian. Diego nods and with final look at me leaves the room.
[Translation: Do what I asked you to. Get more men and make sure no one finds out about]

He walks to the bed and I instinctively sit up on the bed. I suddenly feel bad when hurt flashes between his eyes.

"How do you feel?" he asks me and I don't know if I should speak or not.

"Are you going to hurt me?" I ask, ignoring his question. He carefully sits on the bed but makes sure to put distance between us.

"Do you really think I'd hurt you?" he asks and I shrug in answer. The room is quiet for a while until I speak.

"Please let me go," I tell him

"I can't,"

"Why not? If you aren't going to hurt me then let me go," I say, my voice rising a little bit.

"I want to explain myself to you Lyla," he tells me.

"You don't need to. You'll still kill people," I say. I tense when he gets up and walks to me. He sits next to me and takes my hand in his.

He rubs on my knuckles. "You said you wanted to know me yesterday. I'm ready to open up," he says quietly, looking down at the hand he held in his.

He let's go of my hand and takes of his black suit then his shirt.

"What are you doing?" I ask in concern and fear.

"Telling you my story,_ he answers and I furrow my brows my eyes in confusion.
🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸
~ Giovanni's P.O.V ~
Ten Years ago......
(Violent content!! Read at your own risk)
I choked as I was lifted from a kind of turning table that had had me upside down in a huge bowl of water.

"Let me go you coward, why don't you fight me?" I yell in frustration and anger.

My eyes stared at Nikolai who'd watched me get tortured for the past two hours non-stop.

"That is why I'll always be one step ahead of you, Gio. Your father is nothing but a coward. What was he thinking a boy like you could take over men affair," he remarked with a huge smirk on his face.

He comes a little closer to my confined body. "Do you know why I will always be on top, little boy?" he taunts and grips my hair tightly.

"We are ruthless motherf***ers. I don't care about no one," he tells me and the urge to spit at him is high.

This bastard had come into my father's house and had taken both my mum and I away since we were the only ones around.

All I could think about was the safety of my mother at the moment.

"I make sure to break you. Mentally and emotionally" he says and realisation to his words caused to fight against the table.

"Bring her in, boys" he yelled and I watched a man forcefully bring my mum into the room.

She is roughly thrown to the ground, her nude nightie torn and stained with blood and dirt.

Her beautiful face had a bruise and her lips had been torn. Her blue eyes meet mine and she starts to scream.

I get distracted and howl in pain as I felt something pierce my skin and it continued to drag itself down until it stop at my waist.

"That's just the first part of tonight boy," Nikolai said.

"Giovanni!! Stay with me Giovanni everything will be alright," she yells at me.

I watched in terror as Nikolai grabbed her long black hair.

She cried out."Do whatever you want to me but leave my mother out of this," I yelled and fought to free myself.

The thing that opened my life moved with me and I winced in pain.

"Don't worry, woman. I'll make sure you don't have to see your pathetic son grow up," he said and started to tear at her clothes.
(Sensitive: Abuse!!!)
I was forced to watch as my mother was taken advantage of. She cried out my name as the bastard would hit her laugh and I could do nothing to save her.

She turned her head to look at me as we both silently knew how this would end.

Nikolai brought out a gun as my my mother stared at me for the last time, he pulled the trigger.

"I'm letting you go boy but I have one request from you. I want you to love again. I want to enjoy her the way I enjoyed your mother," he said, looking at my mother's lifeless body.

"Only then will I come for you again. I'll rip your heart to pieces until you beg me to kill you," he growls at me. Happy coronation, Giovanni Machiavelli," he said and everything faded away from then on.

At the age of eighteen, I'd watched my mother get raped and murdered. The one thing I cherished most had been taken away from me by a man who'd just wanted to prove I was too young to lead people.

It hurt in my chest every time I remembered that day. After that day, I forgot what love ever meant and all that stayed in my heart was hate.

Gone were the wonderful memories I had of my mother and in place was her death.

A death caused by a man who certainly had his days numbered.
                  --- --- --- --- ---
Heart clenching story from Giovanni, don't you think?
Hope Lyla's understands him and finds a way to save him
    Tell me what you think about the chapter.
    -- Gigi