Episode 19: Tsushima Yuko's Bargain

"Phew! Now I feel a bit better...sorry for startling you, Ango-san." Yuko said while going back to her seat again. 

Her mood instantly shifted and returned to her usual demeanor. 

Looking on the skies above, Yuko noticed the formation of gray clouds, signaling a possible rain coming.

Yuko didn't like the combination of rainclouds and the sea breeze blowing; something's making her uneasy once more.

"I owe you an apology, Yuko." Chief Taneda spoke which made Yuko turned to him. 

"The reason why I still hadn't brought the evidence that'll prove your innocence was because someone had infiltrated the government already..." He said with so much distaste.

"I have no idea who it is, but if you were to go back, you'll fall into the same path again."

Taneda Santoka trusted Sakaguchi Ango and so speaking regarding a traitor inside the government was fine for him. 

The scheme to frame Yuko was Shibusawa Tatsuhiko's plans. But regarding her unjust punishments and confinement from being a defective Hunting Dog, it was clearly another's. 

There were still others.

"Then why don't you order for my dismissal? Do you really think I have plans on coming back to the government, old man?"

"I'm not going back anymore." Yuko said with her arms crossed.

"I cannot allow that, Yuko. Even if I can, I won't...and you know why." Taneda said sternly. 

Ever since Yuko's imprisonment and disappearance, the division has experienced great losses.

Many ability users in Yokohama have started to run free and go out of their control. Mori Ougai was not kidding when he said that Yuko was a valuable asset.

Her ability to manipulate the gifted's abilities was important in maintaining all ability users in Yokohama under control. 

They thought they can use Shibusawa Tatsuhiko's gift as an alternative, but they were wrong.

Unlike Shibusawa, Yuko had no ulterior motives despite the nature of her ability. She was neither good nor bad, just in the middle.

How she decides to use her ability are all based on her judgement, and her judgement always takes no biases. Yuko is always in the middle ground that's why she's needed.

The Dragon's Head Conflict is an example of the biggest loss of the government so far...and, unlike the mafia, they can't suffer any more losses. 

"But you said you can, right? If that's the case, I want a bargain with you." Yuko said seriously.

"I just finished a deal with the Port Mafia which cost me a Business Permit. Now you also want one?" 

"Yeah."

Still wanting to know what's on her mind, Taneda sighed and leaned back to his seat. 

"I'm listening..."

"First one, I want the government to know what really happened. Clear my name, old man. I want to be out of the government, including the division, as a free man..."

"In short, I want a proper dismissal without anymore attachments to the government." 

Just hearing Yuko's first statement, Taneda already shook his head. 

"If you're asking for your freedom, Yuko, you cannot bargain anything with that."

Yuko just nodded and ignored Taneda.