Episode 46: Captured Snow White

"How are you, Odasaku? It's a nice day...is this what you call the calm before the storm?" Dazai chuckled as he leaned against the grave, overlooking the sea of Yokohama.

Dazai decided to take a visit to his friend's grave, for the day has finally come. He wanted to apologize beforehand.

"Would you forgive me, Odasaku? I'm putting her in danger and yet she's not even reluctant about it. Sorry if I brought her back. Yuko was already happy...and I was just really greedy."

He then chuckled to himself.

Dazai felt guilty.

"I promised myself that I won't take her away from you, no matter what. You even told me to be with her, and I did. I thought I was with her only because you told us to, but I was wrong."

"After she came back, I realized that I genuinely wanted her to stay. I want her beside me and not just because I promised you. I want her to stay."

He then paused for a moment.

"The thing is...I have a request, Odasaku." Dazai said in a low tone.

"Please don't take her away from me." Dazai finally closed his eyes to feel the breeze blowing softly.

It was quiet. All he can hear was the sounds of the leaves swaying against each other...and the footsteps of someone heading towards him.

He then chuckled after he found it amusing that he was being sentimental.

Finally finding Dazai, Atsushi stood still and paid his respects to the grave before him.

"Nakajima Atsushi-kun, do you know whose grave this is?" Dazai said as soon as he heard him.

Atsushi titled his head curiously.

"No. But it's someone dear to you, right?"

He looked closer to the grave that Dazai was leaning on, trying to read the name that was engraved on it."S. Oda", it says.

"What makes you think that?"

"I've never seen you pay a visit to a grave."

"Does it look like I'm visiting a grave to you?"

"It does. Why?" Atsushi replied, a bit curious from Dazai's question.

Dazai, on the other hand, was lost in his thoughts.

"Was it someone you were in love with?" Atsushi then added.

"If it was a woman I loved, I would have died with her..." Dazai answered, finally standing up.

"He was a friend,"

"The man who gave me a reason to quit the Port Mafia and join the Detective Agency. Without him, I may have stayed in the Mafia, murdering people."

"I'm kidding." He then smiled before walking. "I bet Kunikida-kun told you to come to find me, didn't he?"

"Ah! Yes! He said that there's an important meeting." Atsushi replied as he watched Dazai, now walking ahead of him.

"Pass!"

"I've been wanting to try a new suicide technique."

Atsushi sighed tiredly upon hearing him.

Just as he was worried over Dazai's peculiar behavior just now, he was more concerned about what Kunikida's reaction will be, as Dazai decided to skip a meeting again.

For the past weeks, Dazai had been lazier with his work and would pass several cases as well. Atsushi wondered what made him so busy, but he just shrugged off the idea.