001

! chapter one !

! chapter one !

─── ∙ ~ ✩ ~ ∙ ───

HAVEN POTTER DUG HER foot into the dirt out of boredom. She doubted anyone would be able tell the difference if she made her sneakers dirtier, after all, they were already old and filthy. They'd been hanging around the same playground the entire summer. Surely, Harry had to be getting tired of it as well. Her eyes subconsciously slid over to her brother, who was sat in the swing next to her, not looking bored at all—not like this surprised her. His gaze was distant, as it had always been over the past months. The death of Cedric Diggory had really taken a toll on him. It had taken a toll on all of them. Sometimes, she could barely recognize the boy, never mind the fact that they were almost identical. He was just so different, Haven would sometimes think someone switched bodies with him.

The early hot September air had suddenly began to pick up, causing the surrounding trees to shake their leaves in the wind. The air flow slightly pushed her forward on the swing she had been sitting on, making her scowl at the pain that shot up her leg when her ankle snapped backwards, ending up in a very uncomfortable position. Lifting her leg up with a wince, she flexed her foot so she was no longer in pain. The action caught Harry's attention, and she saw him turn his head to give her a questioning look.

"You alright?"

"Yeah," Haven replied. "Got my foot stuck, that's all. Are you?"

"Fine," Harry told her, his eyes unfocusing once again as he looked away. She could feel herself frown at his grim expression. Haven couldn't even imagine watching any of her friends die, her brother had been through so much while she just...hadn't. She sometimes wished things would happen to her, only so he wouldn't have to bare the pain all alone. She'd always back off once Harry got into one of his moods. Despite the two literally sharing the tiniest bedroom possible, they managed to keep themselves separated from one another. Although she had to admit, she probably did take up most of the room with all of her belongings. Haven had a bit of a shopping problem.

Sudden masculine laughter shook Haven from her thoughts, and she glanced up to see her cousin making his way over to them, his other friends trailing behind him. She nearly scoffed out loud. When they were younger, Dudley was a complete asshole to the Potter twins. Haven thought he would get better with age, but she couldn't say she was even surprised when his attitude didn't change one bit.

"Hey, Big D," Harry greeted. "Beat any ten year olds up today?"

"This one deserved it," the other boy sneered in a tone that would've made Haven's blood run cold if she was anyone else, and didn't know that he was actually just a big coward.

"Yeah," one of his posse members agreed from next to Dudley.

"Five against one," Harry noted. "Very brave."